Mounting TV on Plasterboard with Cellotex behind

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 176520, Jun 13, 2019.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Thats fine. Your choice.

I fix to plasterboard, brick, block etc every day. I absolutely wouldnt have a TV on simply plasterboard fix.

Especially not when its a simple easy job to fix it properly.

2. 18kg the tv weighs.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Would you fix a near enough full bag of cement to a thin sheet of plasterboard.

I wouldnt.

4. I would with the correct fixings. As really I’ve no choice. I don’t see how cutting the plasterboard away to reveal what? Cellotex. Only way of finding the nails is using a magnet. I’ve looked online and that will take a couple days to arrive. It would also depend on how the joists run. Also the sockets have been placed on the wall to allow a TV to be hung. So I can only go either side of the sockets.

So If I fix plywood to the plaster board, would that not just fall off. As its going into the celotex.

So my only option is fixing that would fix to either the brick. I haven’t got an SDS to drill into the brick, or a long enough drill bit.

So I would need something that could anchor into the celotex and grip the plasterboard.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Would you fix a near enough full bag of cement to a thin sheet of plasterboard.

I wouldnt.
    But the fixings dont exist to do what you want.

If you cant do it get someone else to.

You would cut the plasterboard out and replace it with ply behind the tv fixed to the studs.

If you havent got a drill long enough get one.

You have person after person saying plasterboard fixings will not suffice.

One person says they will and it sounds like you are going to follow their advice.

For the very last time, fixing a big tv just to plasterboard isnt sufficient. The very fact the chap advocating doing it says he will keep his grandkids away says enough.

You need to either transfer the fix to the studs or the brickwork behind.

If you cant do that then get someone else to do it.

6. I would like to think I can put a tv on the wall. I will look at some options.

This is the issue finding the studs. Depending on how it’s been battened out, I would have to find which way they run. I did ask whether there is a device you can buy. As I would buy a strong magnet, running it next to live cable is not a good idea.

I can only go one side of the sockets that have already been put up when the job was specified.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With the absolute greatest of respect you have two options.

Ply or fix to brick/block.

Both simple to do.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With the absolute greatest of respect you have two options.

Ply or fix to brick/block.

Both simple to do.

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Bull nose edge some mdf and paint then stick on wall... Mount tv bracket to that so weight is spread across surface with a few screws and polymer mastic type grab stuff. Done myself.

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Screws into studs?

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Very first thing would be to pop a drill through to check the depth of celotex.

Then proceed from there.

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  12. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Quote - The very fact the chap advocating doing it says he will keep his grandkids away says enough.

Not sure where your getting that from as I don't have any grandchildren (yet). I only mentioned that if I did I would keep an eye on them as you would anyway for any potential hazards around the home. A freestanding large TV on a unit is far more likely to be pulled over and injure a child in my opinion, some of the stands ive seen aren't that stable and it wouldn't take a lot to topple over (unless they were tethered to something behind which a lot of people dont bother with).
    As I said, if it's done properly (very secure fixings and close profile bracket to wall), it isn't a problem. I doubt if I could pull it off the wall even if i tried particularly in a vertical motion where the weight is hanging. I suspect people have 18kgs of books and ornaments on shelves with plasterboard fixings. Anyway, I'm just saying that with the right secure fixings it isn't a problem and can be done.

13. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Taken from a pro TV installer's website -
    Use a toggle:
    If there simply aren’t any studs where you want to mount the TV, then you need to use some sort of hollow wall anchor. These can be extremely strong, but as a general rule should not be used with full-motion, or articulating, mounts. The quarter-inch Snaptoggle is hands down the best hollow wall anchor on the market, and a few of them can comfortably hold new 55-inch TVs on a single sheet of drywall. Mounting a TV on drywall or plaster without attaching to a stud can be a very safe and reliable solution IF you know the limits of the wall and the toggles. As a professional home theater installer, I’ve used toggles many times and never had a TV fall off the wall. We know of other installers who overestimated the strength of the wall and ended up with a TV on the ground. In the end, if you aren’t comfortable performing the install, consider hiring a professional.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With the greatest of respect there is a great deal of difference between a professional installer in the US and a diyer over here.

I could cut and paste plenty of new stories of kids being killed by falling tvs, mantles shelves etc

If there was literally no other way of fixing this would be an avenue to explore.

But the OP has plenty of other options to consider first.

Namely the very easiest. Drill into brick. Put in plug. Put in screw.

15. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

The issue with fixing something heavy to plasterboard is that when the plasterboard fails it will be catastrophic i.e. it will come crashing down with no notice.

If a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly.

koolpc and goldenboy like this.
  16. It’s not actually a screw it’s M6 bolt.

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

This ^^. For deep fixings I use expanding brass plugs like this https://www.fischerfixingsusa.com/en-us/products/standard-fixings/metall-anchor/brass-fixing-ms for some reason they are not easy to find, but we use them at work. You may find them on ebay.

They take a threaded bar. You can drill a hole as deep as you like, then poke this in on the end of the threaded rod. Wind the rod in with either lock nuts or mole grips to expand the plug - it won't ever come out! - careful - they will split brick if you are very heavy handed. Fix to the end of the projecting stud with a nut and washer. Really strong fixing.

18. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just out of interest:

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I cannot understand anyone who would fix a large tv to plasterboard! Its simply insane to do so.

You really need to do some research and see how lethal it can be.

You have been given a couple of options from some professional tradesmen. I would definitely follow their advice. Plywood and a long drill bit wont cost much! Even a cheap drill can be had to drill through and into the wall behind.

Hans_25 likes this.
  20. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Even for an 18kg TV, I would want to be able to confidently hang from whatever fixing is used (by my hands not my neck)

goldenboy likes this.