Mounting TV on Plasterboard with Cellotex behind

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 176520, Jun 13, 2019.

1. They go into the bracket into the wall. As if they where 3” they could not possibly go into the TV. But those ones are indeed M6 that go into the tv but they are around an inch.

So back to my original question which was is there something I can put in the plasterboard and celotex that I can then use to support the bracket with the M6 bolts that go into the wall?

Because the fixing they give you are only for concrete/brickwork. So I’m looking for one that I can use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019
  2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I absolutely give up on this.

You just are not being clear at all what it is that you want.

Muzungu likes this.
  4. I was.

So put simply.

I have a garage that has plasterboard and celotex behind it.

I have a TV bracket that is a single arm TV bracket. It comes with 3 M6 bolts that are 30mm long. I need something that I can use to support the TV bracket as just the M6 bolts alone are not that strong. I just want a nice simple solution that doesn’t require all sorts of messing round. So far Grip It is Rigid Fixings are the ones I’ve looked at.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

As I say I am out.

Suffice to say now that its materialised its a presumably full motion armed bracket there is absolutely no way I would even consider using any kind of plasterboard fixing for that for a 50inch TV.

You have been asked numerous times to simply say what make and model it is.

Anyone advocating a plasterboard only fixing for what is essentially a bag of cement on the end of a long arm bracket needs their head examining.

Try holding a bag of cement at full reach rather than close to your body.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    koolpc and stevie22 like this.
  6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, makes a huge difference to the stresses if the TV is not flat against the wall. To be honest it is still not at all clear what the bracket consists of, or is that just me?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Absolutely.

8. I will go into Screwfix and buy some fixing put the bracket up and see how stable it is. Thanks for some recommendations on fixing to try.

9. Well I don’t need my head examined. Plenty of people fix TV brackets to a hollow wall. If they sell fixing to achieve this and they were no good then people would not buy them and they wouldn’t be allowed to sell them in retail outlets. As I say the old tv that was in the same place this tv is going was held up with a same swing arm bracket, with some wood screw. Been that way for two years. However since the TV is broken a new one was purchased. Also along with a suitable bracket that performed the functions. That I required.

However as noted it says to fix with 30mm M6 bolts. But as I founded our when drilling a pilot hole the battens went across the room and not down. Meaning that the bolts would just be in the celotex. So I decided that I would ask what fixing I could use to achieve getting the M6 bolts some support. As most fixing need a rawl plug or sorts when screwed into the wall.

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Nope... Just a few of those plasterboard cork screw like plasterboard fittings that will hold board in therright place .. The force is downward so that will hold but the glue will stop the down and away force. You want 600mm square or bigger board I guess with nemisis mighty grap from screwfix and a few fixings... That ain't going anywhere however the person that wants to remove some day will need to replace plasterboard wall area.. Guess you could cut hole first and see if there is a stud you can use prior to mdf fitting..

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With the greatest of respect you do need you head examining if you intend to mount a swing out arm tv bracket just on plasterboard fixings.

But you are going to do whatever you want.

Thats quite clear. Its also clear you only want to listen to the advice you want to hear about.

I have put loads of TVs up.

I would never even consider mounting a long arm bracket the way you are proposing.

The force is not downwards like a fixed screen its a completely different force.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Is this an swing out bracket or a tilt only?

13. It’s a swing bracket. Bought from Asda.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I know yours is.

That was directed at wayners

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

15605405807184616976573914370283.jpg 15605404890963096611867281038401.jpg 156054061236197079279491058390.jpg 15605404890963096611867281038401.jpg
    This the one?

Deleted member 176520 likes this.
  16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Tilt.. You can't put a swing out with my method. If swing out you need to take plasterboard out and hope it not metal stud or you will need to put timber in. Swing out really wants good strong fixing. Tilt will be fine though.. I starting to think you have metal stud wall.. Massive space between metal verticals.. Terrible for fixing..

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The score is this though mate.

You have obviously worked a way out of doing it for a tilt only. Spread the strain, over specced and over numbered the fixings etc

I have done the same for lots of cabinets etc over the years.

But the OP wants to mount a swing out one on just plasterboard fixings only.

18. Same brand as that but it’s a full motion tilt. Does not say you can’t fix to dry wall on the box.

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Clearly states that its not for using just into plasterboard.

Also says fixing needs to be capable of supporting 5 times the TV and bracket combined.

That bracket is a good 20kg alone.

Add that to 18kg. Thats nearly 40kg.

Multiply that by 5 equals 200kg.

20. It’s the same brand. But on the box and instructions it’s states that it can be used in dry wall.