Mouse trap bait

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by hi2u_uk, May 12, 2018.

1. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

i caught a mouse yesterday in my home by hand however i have had suspicions that there have been mice for a while. Previously i had a mouse trap that had a bit of meat in it but it didnt catch anything and the meat went mouldy. I then had another trap which i put a bit of a snickers bar in but that caught nothing apart from attracting ants to the chocolate nut mix. Im going to buy a trap today but what bait should i put in it that wont go mouldy or attract insects etc ?
    I live in a upper floor flat in a victorian house so i am ondering how these mice are managing to climb up the stairs as well

2. btiw2

btiw2 Well-Known Member

Peanut butter.

Heat likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

'ditto'

Smooth.

Mice/rats love it.

And mice don't need to use the stairs to get upstairs & they are very good jumpers!.

This mouse trap is brilliant, works superbly, made one with 10 holes, better than any bought trap.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

My wife

5. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

yes but i need bait that wont go mouldy or atttract other bugs

DIY womble likes this.
  6. facilities

facilities Well-Known Member

The mice in the videos were obviously trained, a bit like one man and his dog the sheep are trained they use the same ones all the time,

You need to use Galaxy chocolate and a standard trap;)

retiredsparks likes this.
  7. Heat

Heat Active Member

Peanut butter I find the best and doesn’t seem to go mouldy.
    ‘The Better Mousetrap’ is an excellent plastic trap (American made) and is a simple resettable plastic jaw type. Highly recommend getting a few.
    When positioning traps, put them with the open trap part close to a wall. Mice tend to run around edges of rooms and trap set like that will mean a mouse will meet the trap from either direction

btiw2 likes this.
  8. hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Member

does peanut butter attract ants/insects ?

9. btiw2

btiw2 Well-Known Member

As heat says - peanut butter seems to last for ages. I guess it’s the salt.

I use the same sort of trap that SF sells. Easier to set than little nippers. The mouse’s head usually covers the bait so I can throw the mouse into the hedgerow and not even need more bait to set it again. I must have taken out nearly a dozen mice with one particularly lucky trap and one baiting this winter.

Again, heat’s advice on placement is good. Mice keep close to edges so the trap should face the wall.

Heat likes this.
  10. btiw2

btiw2 Well-Known Member

Not that I’ve noticed.

11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Nope, not sweet enough for ants/insects.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

I'm told this works unequivocally. Two bowls side by side. One with Smash (instant mashed potato in dry form), one with water. The greedy gits will devour the smash, then once the water is drank, balloons them up nicely so they can't dart off. Up to you what you do with them after that.

13. facilities

facilities Well-Known Member

Ok I think you are all faffing about here, it looks to me like hi2 needs the neuclear option, now listen closely get your self a “ball bearing mousetrap” it’s also called a Tom cat :)

14. gadget man

gadget man Well-Known Member

I caught 3 mice earlier this week, but sadly when I set the 4th trap I caught a Blue ***. :( I was gutted as these little birds a so cute and pretty. From now on I'll be setting the trap out of sight of anything but the mice...

15. gadget man

gadget man Well-Known Member

Damn censor blocked my full description of the little bird.