Movement with stairs and newel post

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Stratts, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Stratts

Stratts New Member

Hi guys,
    First post so please be gentle!

15 year old property and noticed this movement recently when we started to redecorate. I believe it's not major and I put some of it down to natural movement due to expansion and contraction now we have had the heating on and off during the winter months but would like further thoughts from any chippies on the forum please?

The top two treads at an angle are a tad creaky which I should be able to rectify hopefully by screwing them down and I assume these two are the worse due to the movement on the existing fixings?

I cannot physically move any stair parts and I put some of the movement down to the late teen daughters that lived here previously swinging on the newel post as they flew down the stairs. I've had to tell my twin lads not to do the same since being here!!!

My thoughts are if it is natural movement due to the construction of the stairs, is there an easy way to strengthen to prevent further movement without having a post from the underside of the newel post to the floor as this will obstruct below and look awful!! I could remove the board underneath as it is only tacked on and would not be a big job to make good but I can't think of any brackets that would be substantial enough to support the weight without coming further down the outside wall as a cantilever.

We are going to leave the spindles and stringers white with the rest stained as you see so it's not easy to fill the gaps and make it look nice, unless there is a natural filler or putty that can be stained the same as the wood?? The joint between the cover board and the ceiling can just be caulked and painted again I suppose and is this something I'm just going to have to live with and keep doing?

We are on a main road so do have busses going past and occasional lorries, although they shouldn't drive down this road.

We will be lifting the carpets and renewing and I need to re-fix the chipboard while it's up on the landing as that also creaks in places. If anything needs doing to strengthen from above now is the time to do it as I can lift the landing chipboard.

I have added extra fixings through the stringer into the wall as you will see prior to caulking as there was a hairline crack between the top and the dot and dab plaster. I couldn't see much evidence of fixing so if this wasn't done well at the time of building, could this have contributed to the movement and I've actually inadvertantly solved the problem? Be nice if I have!!

Pics below showing the areas so please comment as you see fit,

Thanks in advance,

Stratts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you have creaky treads then try screwing down into the riser to pull tight, otherwise to sort it you'll need to access the underside of the treads. Decorators caulk the gaps and paint white to match. Bigger gaps use expanding foam, cut off slightly below once cured then caulk over the top. You'll probably always have a hairline crack here or there where two different surfaces meet. Your stairs are fine a

3. Stratts

Stratts New Member

Thanks mate the gaps are not that wide and can be caulked easily. I assume the last sentence was meant to say the stairs are ok regarding the movement in your opinion?

You can’t see from the pics but I fixed the stringer to the wall all the way down on every step with plugs and screws. I assume these will be sufficient with that amount?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, damn computers. I can see the fixings in the pics, no offence but its overkill and wasn't needed, the stairs are self supporting, if you have a crack running down the junction between string and wall then pin a quadrant bead on top of the string to hide the crack.

5. Stratts

Stratts New Member

Ah no worries bud there is quadrant already hence the fixings and my assumption it wasn’t fixed back well enough in the first place. Didn’t want to take it off and re-fix didn’t take long to screw it.