Moving a 290kg piece of machinery around

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Jun 13, 2021.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I maybe will be buying a ring roller and its 290kg in weight.

They drop off at curbside and expect you to have means to move it?
    I assume it comes on a pallet.

Hows the easiest way to get it down a drive into my workshop?

I dont have pallet truck or forklift.

I was thinking of making a low slung trolley and leave it on that so can move it if I need to drag it outside to do large pieces. On a 4 wheeled trolley would 290kg be heavy to pull?

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Bung the driver a tenner to use his pallet truck.

that is assuming that the driver has some way of unloading. I had a car lift delivered ( 500kgs) and the poor driver didn’t have a tail lift. Also a pallet of half barrels so high the driver couldn’t pull onto his tail lift ‘cos the curtain side clearance was just a bit higher. Fortunately in both cases I could unload with my kit

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If all else fails use lengths of scaffold tube or broom handle or why as rollers.

No reason why your trolley wouldn't work defendant on how steep/rough your drive is: you'll want some chunky wheels 150kg min. You'd want to consider some way to set the machine solid when in use: braked wheels might be enough or maybe some sort of jack.

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

would that weight roll around easy on 4 suitable casters?

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I’ve used shopping trolley bases to move 1/4 tonne items around. Or welded shopping trolley wheels onto frames designed to move large engines around.