Moving a cold tap in the garage

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Captain Callum, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Captain Callum

Captain Callum New Member

I've got a T compression joint fitted in the downstairs toilet feeding out through to the integral garage with a soldered 90 degree joint in the garage to a cold tap about 12 inches above it. The whole install is less than 2 feet long.

I need to move the tap about 10 feet to the right, towards the garage main doors due to turning some of the garage into a "play room" (for me.. computers etc..).

I'm just a regular DIY man and I don't have a blow torch etc and I'm not trained to solder copper plumbing, so I intend to remove all the pipe work into the T compression joint in the toilet (it's only 4 years old) and re-feed a new install from the garage using compression joints and a couple of meters of new copper pipe.

Obviously, I need to switch the water off.. But how do I remove the compression T piece in the toilet - or do I need to? Do I just have to get a new compression ring for this part of the job?

Lastly, I want to decorate the room afterwards. Do I expose the pipework inside the room - or hide it all behind the plasterboard etc.. I have a feeling that I ought to expose it for repair in the future..?

Please answer in "join the dots" vocabulary :)

At your mercy!

Callum.

2. GJC

GJC New Member

Callum,

email for pictures.......I'm useless with joining dots, save all my skills for pipework:)

GJ

garyjcody@yahoo.co.uk

3. Captain Callum

Pictures sent (as if :)

So, is this a fair analysis of what to do? Do I replace the compression washer on the T piece? Do I keep the pipework exposed?

Am I going insane?

C.

4. kesh

kesh New Member

A few options -

1. Leave old tap & box in (using screws for access).

2. Remove old tap & replace T with a straight connector (or piece of tube in the T with end cap) in cloakroom. - yeah, I know there's no cloaks in it!

3. Extend pipework from old tap to new location & box-in.

Take your pick!

5. GJC

GJC New Member

Even DIYers are legally obliged to comply with Water Regulations.

GJ

6. kesh

kesh New Member

Please explain, GJC?

7. GJC

GJC New Member

Were talking a length of pipework outside the thermal envelope doubtless connected to the mains!!

Plus the pipework to the float valve in the loo is being dabbled with, so must be brought into this century.

Hence why I asked for the pic and he would have got a blow by blow account, with diagrams and pics if he need them, of exactly what do plus a fittings list to make it legal and safe..........but hey, if he can't be arsed.....neither can I.

GJ

8. marc

marc New Member

why do people want to attemp plumbing without a least learning the basics.

9. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi Callum
    You could...Remove the tap and the back-plate elbow (that's screwed to the wall) cut the pipe 50mm from that elbow...fit an elbow something like SFD no. 12235fit to the pipe where you've cut it(be sure to remove burr and sharpness of the cut) then, using 60mm or so of copper pipe, fit an isolating valve (SFD no. 18796) , and turn the valve off...You can now turn your cold water back on.
    Now connect the length of pipe, required to reach the new position for your hose-union tap, to the iso valve and clip the pipe with a slight fall towards the garage door.
    Fit new back=plate elbow (SFD no. 17692 to the end of the pipe and screw it to the wall. Wrap plenty of PTFE tape onto threads of a new Hose-union tap SFD no. 11558 and wind it onto the elbow (hand tight + 1/4 - 3/4 turn)
    Lag the pipe and box/board-over it in if you wish, leaving access to the iso valve
    If it suits you to use plastic pipe...make sure you use inserts and in any event when connecting any pipe to fittings, ensure it goes all the way and check you can't pull the pipe out!

Hope that answers all your needs

10. Captain Callum

OK. Thanks for all your replies. I shall use the existing T piece in the toilet but refurb where necessary then run new copper pipe with compression joints along to new tap, insulate where required and box-in when I decorate and plaster-board.

Reason why I'm doing this myself? Because two plumbers, on two different occasions promised to do the work and neither of them turned up on the day. When I called, they had both forgotten about the job.

Sad but true.

Callum.