Moving an under-cupboard lighting switch to underneath the cupboard

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Match, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Match

Match New Member

The kitchen in my house has under-counter lights installed (old fluorescent mains ones) with the switches (fused spurs off the sockets ring) inside the cupboards, on the back panel - which is less than useless when there's anything in the cupboard.

My partner would like the switch moved underneath the cupboard to the front corner, where it will be hidden by the cornice, but easy to find.

I'm wondering if it's allowed/sensible to mount the fused spur switch upside-down under the cupboard, with the mains wire going back to the pattress in the wall behind the cupboards kept out the way in trunking?

I guess the alternative is to switch to 12vDC LED lights with a transformer, and put the fused spur switch and transformer somewhere else, with just a DC switch under the counter. Though since the aim is also to get rid of the the switch from the cupboard, this switch (and transformer) would need a new home - like on top of the cupboard. I guess this would count as safer in terms of only using a DC switch with wet hands etc, but again not sure if screwing the fused spur switch to the top of the cupboard is any more acceptable!

Any thoughts on this one appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It’ll be fine. Put the FSU where you find it most convenient.

3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You could look at
    Quinetic wireless switch system
    Not the cheapest solution but does allow you to put the switch anywhere.
    I have used these to solve a problem very similar to yours - retrofitting under cupboard lights to be switched remotely

Good luck with your project

4. Or replace with LED strip lights. The cheap ones can come with a remote control or you can get smart ones.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Aye. IKEA is worth a looksee