Moving from Canada to Edinburgh... advice?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by NigeltheCanadian, May 14, 2008.

1. NigeltheCanadian

NigeltheCanadian New Member

I'd like to ask for some general advice on a move from Canada to Edinburgh. (Apologies in advance for the length of this post...)

Here in Canada, I call myself a carpenter. I have two years formal education in heritage restoration, and in 5 years of work experience, have worked mostly in residential (ie, private home) settings doing additions and renovations. I've also built traditional doors, windows, and entire kitchens. (Hope these links work: my latest kitchen.)
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk236/nigelthecanadian/knob1.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk236/nigelthecanadian/drawer2.jpg

I'm happy doing any honest work, but my inclination is to more precise finish work, than rough framing.

I'm hoping to find work with a company doing residential work at a high standard of quality. I plan to bring hand tools (including cordless drills) but no power or air tools. In a perfect world, the company would provide transport from the office to the jobsite. Given my initial lack of familiarity with how things work, the lack of power tools and transport, I expect a low wage.

First and foremost, do you think my plan is crazy, or do I have a chance of finding a company to take me on? Is my lack of qualifications likely to be a problem? Are power tools necessary? Should I be looking at building site work as well as residential? Would I need a vehicle? Any guesses as to what the hourly wage would be for someone like me?

I imagine that established companies are very proper in how they employ and pay people, but I wonder if smaller companies are likely to pay in cash and forget about paperwork and taxes. (As it happens, I have dual citizenship -- Canada/UK -- so I'm legally permitted to work.)

Any other comments about the employment situation in Edinburgh would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,

Nigel Robinson

2. !!

!! Active Member

Your work seems good, we wouldn't allow a extractor so close to the hob in the U.K.

If you bring over a good portfolio + your 5 years experience I'd imagine you'd get a job with a smallish firm at £10 - £14 an hour. Offer to do a weeks trial for a labourers wage. If you can legally work in the U.K I suggest that you do so basically for employment rights etc

3. !!

!! Active Member

Works good in south Yorkshire, idea how scotland is

4. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

Hello Nigel, aside from the questions posed on here.

Have a look here for advice.

Then look here for import services.

Good luck mate ;)

5. dual193

dual193 New Member

Hi Nigel,
    I don't think you will have any problems getting a job over here.. Just out of interest why are you coming over here? I am seriously considering moving to Canada and would like a few pointers myself.

6. NigeltheCanadian

NigeltheCanadian New Member

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.

dual193, I'm moving for love. If economics were the only determinant, I wouldn't be moving, as I think the cost of living/ salary ratio is much better in Canada. Though it depends somewhat on where you are, I think there tends to be a good market for skilled trades here. Don't hesitate to ask more questions...

7. MattChip

MattChip New Member

I would include in your itinerary a stab-proof vest and a rainmac

8. purplemadboy

purplemadboy New Member

Are you mad!!!I live in Glasgow,with all the taxes you pay in this country and the **** weather stay in Canada.Most people can leaving this country are doing so.Where in Canada are you(I know the Toronto area very well)

9. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

my advice would be "stop where you are" unless you have very good nostrils, the catarrh problem in scotland is endemic.