Moving pipe over 50mm

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY_Dobbleson, Oct 30, 2022.

1. DIY_Dobbleson

DIY_Dobbleson New Member

Hi all!

Looking for some advise on moving a rad pipe over 50mm.

I'm looking to install a new radiator which is larger than the previous.
    I need to move over one of the pipes around 50mm however it's all copper and I'm not sure the best way to do it.

Ideally I'd like to use push fit as it's DIY friendly and I feel pretty safe using it. I can't solder haha

Any advise?

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

you may get away with a push fit street elbow and a standard elbow. Should be about 50mm. You’ll need to drain down, or partial drown down if upstairs.

Mike83 likes this.
  3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

If there was an option to go one rad size smaller than bigger you could use valve extensions and leave your pipework as it is.

4. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Hi, Might be a good time to learn a few more plumbing skills.
    You have already done some good leg work, ie rad removed and floorboards lifted. You have some good DIY skills already.
    Drain down, only partial required - upstairs only,
    Cut the existing pipe in the large gap between the joists, retain the cut pipe complete with rad valve.
    Using 2 elbows, create a dog leg 50mm/2" to the right with an additional piece of copper pipe between them,
    Cut a new notch in the joist next to the wall,
    Reuse the original pipework/rad valve previously cut off, and insert into the 2nd elbow,
    A small smear of LS-X on the olives on the compression fittings wouldn't come amiss.
    Any queries ask, there are good plumbers/bods on this website.
    QED
    Job done.....

Pegler PX44 Brass Compression Equal 90° Elbows 15mm 5 Pack | Pipe Fittings | Screwfix.com

Monument Tools Clamshell 15mm Automatic Copper Pipe Cutter | Copper Pipe Cutters | Screwfix.com

Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer 50ml | Sealers & Compounds | Screwfix.com

McSport likes this.
  5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

6. Ross Curtis

Ross Curtis Member

I always solder CH joints. Not a fan of push fit, I've used compression fittings in a pinch before. It's not hard to solder joints tbh, solder ring fittings are easy to use - clean the pipe and fitting, brush on flux, blowtorch til you see the solder and then add a bit more solder (belt and braces).

Couple of elbows will do it either way though I'd say if you want to do it right soldering is the way.

Then when you refill the system spray on a bit of soapy water to check the fitting - you'll see bubbles appear if it's not sealed.

Tricky Dicky likes this.
  7. DIY_Dobbleson

DIY_Dobbleson New Member

Hi all,
    Thank you so much for the advice, turns out an elbow left and then right was the perfect size!
    It's all in, no leaks and works a treat!!

Thanks for all the advice!

CGN, McSport and FlyByNight like this.