Moving the goalposts

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cornish pasty, Feb 28, 2006.

1. cornish pasty

cornish pasty New Member

Ere's one, asked to carry out electrical installation in a pub. I am 2381/2391 qualified and at present awaiting assessment by NIC stasi, agreed installation, applied and received building control notification as some notifiable, completed and tested installation, certificate signed they won't pay me because it is not an NIC certificate. I agreed the price with the landlord (person ordering the work) however, he has got the brewery to pay for the electrical work after it commenced and no mention of an NIC certificate has been mentioned until I sent him the invoice. Surely my contract is with the landlord therefore he must pay me? Anyone had a similar experience?

2. Phase2Phase

Phase2Phase New Member

Had similar instance recently with a university. Tested 3 properties for a landlord issued certs using Amtech software not NICEIC cert pads and they wouldnt accept it even though i am approved contractor. When i telephoned them to ask about the problem they said the reason they didnt accept it was cause it didnt match there example cert they had been given. Didnt have a clue what they were looking at all they wanted to see was NICEIC logo.

3. ebee

ebee Member

Once a contract has been closed (Offer and acceptance) then neither party may vary it without consent of the other. The landlord may not now put an additional condition in the contract.

Not even the NICEIC may insist that a contractor must use their forms. They do prefer it though. Read their handbook

4. cornish pasty

cornish pasty New Member

ebee, many thanks for that snippet. Will go back to landlord and see how I get on. Be interesting if I now went back and took all my cables out of his ceiling and walls. Probably cost him more to replace them!!

5. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Also point out that there are more than one notifiable organisation as deemed by the ODPM and that he cant discriminate unless specified in the original order

6. ebee

ebee Member

Unfortunately if you were to take out cables etc even for non payment you would be breaking civil and probably criminal law unless it was in the contract (and accepted of course) strange it may seem. Actually a friend of mine did just that it gave a load of satisfaction.
    Demand payment and go to court if need to. It doesn`t need to cost a lot.

7. rutspark

rutspark New Member

Ere's one, asked to carry out electrical installation
    in a pub. I am 2381/2391 qualified and at present
    awaiting assessment by NIC stasi, agreed
    installation, applied and received building control
    notification as some notifiable, completed and tested
    installation, certificate signed they won't pay me
    because it is not an NIC certificate. I agreed the
    price with the landlord (person ordering the work)
    however, he has got the brewery to pay for the
    electrical work after it commenced and no mention of
    an NIC certificate has been mentioned until I sent
    him the invoice. Surely my contract is with the
    landlord therefore he must pay me? Anyone had a
    similar experience?

If the landlord did not specify you had to give an nic cert at the outset and you did not offer one he's fuuuucked He can't legaly demand you give one.
    It's his fault for spending the brewery money before finding out what they require as a standard
    Had this issue a year ago, the landlord asked for an nic cert after the job was done. He'd been squirming for weeks to not pay and finally said he needed the nic cert or the brewery would'nt re-imberse him, he said it with a smug grin as he new I wasnt nic.
    I pointed out that at 6'2'' and 19 stone if he did'nt pay Id remove the large armour cable supplying his converted outbuilding prep room(no planning permision or change of use authority)along with everything that was attached to it, he smilled and said yeah course you will.Two minutes later I was nail baring the armour off the wall ....He wrote a cheque there and then!!

Don't have landlords fuuuck you over if they're willing to intimidate you then do it back, they have more to loose than you .