Mowers

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Dust, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Dust

Dust New Member

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi mal,
    i *think* the only difference is with the self-propelled it gives you the option to control the blade, i.e the engine can be running but the blade not spinning giving you a bit more control over the mower. If it were for me, i would pay the extra as if you stumble across something in the lawn that you didn't know about you can release the lever which would be quicker than trying to move the mower possibly.
    Your choice thou! :)

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Surely self propelled means the mower will move along without manual pushing? (although I don't actually know for certain). This implies some sort of drive mechanism to the wheel/s. Unless you are unfit/have steep slopes on your lawn/lazy I would have the non self propelled version. After all there's more to go wrong/adjust/set up/ work poorly with the extra mechanism. And mechanisms on a wet, long grass lawn have a habit of clogging/dying very quickly!

diymostthings

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It does say, 'top speed 3.2km/h'

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. guss10

guss10 Member

SElf propelled means it saves you pushing it along as it has normally the real wheels driven. I contract cut grass and would hate to have to use a push along mower for the sake of 20 notes I'd buy it and not look back. Happy grass cutting;)

6. surfermick

surfermick New Member

i agree with Guss, self propelled for me, ive done a fair bit of gardening work and rely on the self propelled power. i now only cut my own lawn but still use self propelled. i would say this though, if your lawn is all bits and bobs, lots of turns etc  without many straight runs then a self propelled could be a hindrance. but for larger lawns sp is a must.

7. Maddog21

Maddog21 New Member

I have always thought that self propelled, means the wheels are driven. for the sake of 20 quid I would go for a driven mower.

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

sorry for the confusion chaps - just re-read my reply and of course self-propelled mower pulls itself. Sorry! :'(

9. Red Dawn

Red Dawn New Member

I have always fancied a sit on mower, just to be like forrest gump

10. Dust

Dust New Member

I went for the self propelled version, and it was worth it much more easy to mow the lawn.

Thanks for your help guys

Mal