MPG

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Graham Linton, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

I've just been to the petrol station and brimmed filled my VW Passat. It's done exactly 85 miles since I last filled up. It's just cost £16.17 to do do these 85 miles. I don't know how to work this out can anyone tell me how many miles per gallon this is today's rate?

Many thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Divide £16.17 by the cost per litre then x by 5.4, so for example say petrol @ £1.50 a litre is £10.78 per gallon.

3. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Sorry Astramax I have autism. Three things are real difficult for me apologies

4. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

What was the price per litre?

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Say price per lite = £1.60.
    4.54 litres per gallon
    So price per gallon = £1.60 x 4.54 = £7.26
    You bought £16.17 worth of petrol, so this is 16.17 / 7.26 gallons = 2.28 gallons.
    MPG = miles / gallons = 85 / 2.28 = 37.28.
    Not bad!

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

not quite. 4.52 litres pre imperial gallon so 1.5 a litre is £6.76 a gallon

So 16.17 is 2.3 gallons so 85miles is 36 to the gallon. Not sure what your Passat is but I get that from. V6 petrol Vauxhall…

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

A British gallon is 4.546 litres

8. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Diesel was £164.9

9. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

19p per mile is the most relevant number surely?

A gallon is 4.54 litres. Petrol is around £1.63 round here so for you 16.17 / 1.63 = 9.9 litres

9.9 / 4.54 = 2.18 gallons so 85 miles on 2.18 is 39mpg

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

:confused:
    I drive a Volkswagen and got the 5 and the 4 in the wrong position as it gives better fuel economy figures. :confused::confused:....:oops:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't worry we all have something these days. ;)

12. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

Well, I was diagnosed before it was fashionable. 40 years for me. Talk to me about antenna arrays, frequencies, tetra radio systems and I am super. I can memorise multiple systems of numbers and frequencies, street names, random pieces of music but with maths and working things out, I just struggle. Thanks for the help everyone

13. Graham Linton

Graham Linton Member

2.0 L VW Passat TDi 177BHP.

14. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Surely the MOST useful piece of information would be miles per litre? Yes it’s a mix of metric/imperial but roads measured in miles, fuel sold in litres. I generally only drive when I need to and know how far the journey is, so knowing how many litres of fuel required would be extremely useful. Simplifies working out costs too.

15. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

So, which company developed the Tetra radios for helicopter use? And which was the underlying hardware manufacturer!

When were the first L-band phased arrays for on aircraft installation available?