mudster

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by dj., Sep 17, 2004.

1. dj.

dj. New Member

i tiled my kitchen floor last year used unibond rapid set adhesive and unibond grout both powders. in my own admission i did a good job of it.
    thing is that when i grouted, i like a divvy, didn't seal the grout, so all the grout is a nice light grey except around the cooker where fat has splashed making the grout dark in places. i have tried cleaning with different things including patio cleaner but to no avail.
    i think the grout will have to be removed in this area and re-done. how/what do i remove it with and what do i then seal it with. any ideas appreciated.

dj.

2. plumface

plumface New Member

have you tried using bleach and a stiff brush?

3. Discoloring grout is a constant problem in this business and there really is no absolute answer to this problem.

There are a few preventative measures you can take along the way though.

Grout is porous, it will absorb small amounts of liquid. There are grout protectors on the market that can be painted on over the joints once the grout is set.

If it's critical it stays clean I tend to use a little admix in the grout - usually a flexible polymer additive - this has the effect of making it more waterproof.

You could try treating the grout with a impregnating sealer such as Lithofin Stain Stop (Cellulose based) or similar products. But even then the grout can still stain slightly.

The only grout that won't discolor is a true epoxy two pack grout, and trust me you don't even want to go there!

So how do you clean your grout?

Floor grout is much tougher than wall grout, it will need to be ground out (you may be able to rake it out but this will be slow and probably wear out the grout rake at an alarming rate). But the tried and tested way is to carefully get a small angle grinder into the joint and cut it out and re grout.

I just had another thought, there are some products on the market for removing stains from porous stone such as marble worktops, these systems are a chemical poltice that breakdown and draw out the discoloration. I can't claim to be knowledgeable about this type of product but it might worth a look in your local marble/stone supplier to se if they have anything like this available.

It could save a lot of mess grinding and regrouting.

Good luck.

4. dj.

dj. New Member

plumface... itried the bleach thing to no avail, but thanks.
    mudster i don't really want to start grinding joints out, but as a last resort i will have to. will try the stone/granite supplyers first thanks.

dj.