Multi tool decision...Help!

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by diymostthings, Nov 10, 2018.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Two simple questions:

1. Are they useful as an extra to my normal power tools?

2. Is there a make to buy (or avoid)?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

101 uses, cut grind sand,scraper,grout removasal,list is endless.

Got a Bosch one,prefer mains over cordless myself.

What's your budget?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  3. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Yes they are very good for those situations where nothing else would quite work.

Get a cheap one and see if you use it. If you find you are using it alot then invest in something expensive.

Try the Titan "gasp". I bought one as I was in the same boat as you and wasn't sure if i'd ever use it but it's been a real time saver. The tool itself is very good for the price point.

Astramax likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Bought a new one from lidl last week. Quick change blade £30.

£20 in Aldi at mo.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They are incredibly useful and can solve of all sorts of problems.

The cheaper ones do a good job but expect a lot of noise and vibration through you hands, As you pay more you tend to find less vibration and noise. Bosch corded and Dewalt cordless are good value and are in the middle ground with Fein at the top end

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  7. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

I have two Feins, the first one purchased before there was competition (they invented and patented them) and the second one more recently to get more power and the fast blade change. I do not use either of them much but when I do they make what could be very difficult, time-consuming or messy jobs very easy. I have used them for jobs as varied as cutting floor boards so that I could lift them, cutting hinge pins on patio doors, sanding and detail sanding, cutting pipes in restricted locations, cutting holes in plasterboard, cutting nails under window boards, cutting putty from window frames, removing silicon beads, cutting out old back boxes without damaging the plaster, etc. I went for corded as I have invested in Milwaukee battery technology and they did not do one at the time.

Good advice from others above about alternatives to the Fein.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. diymostthings

Well I can cut, grind, sand, scrape remove grout with my other tools Kiab - budget (if I buy one) would be £70-£100...

9. diymostthings

Hmmm - food for thought. Buying a cheapo tool goes against my feelings - having ben caught by this a number of times. But as you recommended the Titan - I'll certianly look into it. Thanks.

10. diymostthings

11. diymostthings

Yes I'm sure there are cheapos out there - but will they still be working after 10,000 cuts?

12. diymostthings

Diolch yn fawr, sospan. Well I have heard Fein are good but seem expensive. I could put up with vibration for limited use if its much cheaper...Thanks for the tips.

13. diymostthings

Thanks HappyHacker - that seems a good list of jobs which are difficult/impossible with other tools - so I'm warming towards getting one!

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope, you have starlock, starlock plus & starlock max, would stick with starlock,maybe starlock plus, if good selection of blades are available.

See this earlier link:rolleyes:: https://www.multitoolworld.com/

15. diymostthings

Thanks again Kiab - that's a pity. I wonder if the type of fixing goes with the cost of the machine (e.g. starlock with cheapo, starlock max with the dear ones?)

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some of the not so cheap multi tools use starlock, forget starlock max,3rd party blades are non existent.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don't know!

18. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Yes they are really useful. I bought a Worx sonicrafter a whike back as it was on offer in Homebase. Been given a fair old bit of heavy use and still going strong.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a couple of the cheaper Lidl ones must be about 8 years old and some Bosch they seem to be about the same. They tend to be used and abused by the wife and daughters for their DIY and craft stuff. Fitted a scraper blade to one for the wife to use to knock the burnt bits off her cooking things - a worthy challenge !

WillyEckerslike, chippie244 and KIAB like this.
  20. diymostthings

OK Noted Kiab thanks. I'll forget starlock max.