Multi tool decision...Help!

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by diymostthings, Nov 10, 2018.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Thanks RolandK - I'll take a look at that...

2. diymostthings

Yes i need to check out Lidl - I have had some good stuff from them. Thanks for the tip.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you need to use a multitool for that volume of cuts then you may be doing it wrong. Will you still be working after ten thousand cuts? Surely retired by then!

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am thinking of taking my Fein cordless in the coffin with me just in case - haven't worked out how to get passed the 6ft of soil yet, it may take a while with that 50mm blade

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My Fein is corded 'cos they didn't have cordless when I bought it, it goes on every job because it makes that hard job easy.

7. Greentram

Greentram Member

My Makita cordless has been used for numerous jobs. Great thing about it, as compared with its Makita predecessor which broke, is the tool-free blade change. This would be a must-have if I bought another.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There are adaptors available which make compatibility of blades less of an issue nowadays.

9. diymostthings

Well I enjoy DIY so much that I hopefully will be able to carry on until I pop my clogs...

10. diymostthings

That's very interesting - I'll look into that....
    Thanks Greentram - Seems Makita is pretty much one of the top brands in power tools and noted on the tool-free blade change feature...
    (Don't know why I'm getting other replies attached to all new ones - apologies)

11. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Got a Titan Multi Tool with 18V 1.5ah battery. It seems good.
    Will be trimming wooden shed door.

12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Titan multi tool worked fine, powerful and cuts well.
    Quite loud on high speeds. (1-6 speed settings)

Battery powered tool is so handy, can reach awkward places easy.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Cordless all the way for me. So much more convenient. Didnt like the Dewalt paddle switch to start with as it took a while to get used to it.

Have had multitools for a very very long time.

Whats amazing is that you can now buy a tool, accesories and case for less than the cost of an original Fein blade 20 years ago!

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Still have my Bosch & ALDI/LIDL multitools but any extended use is quite painful on the hands and fingers The cordless Fein not so much and the difference in cutting speed and capability is quite noticeable

15. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Extended use of hand power tools seem cause problem on the hands and wrists with pain. I have been using impact screw driver, and was screwing in boards to wooden shed wall, and also battens to outside shed corners in order to secure and seal using 100s of screws, and feel a bit of strain on the wrist.

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Impact drivers and SDS drills are the worst offenders, did a H+S course years ago which stated they should not be used for more than 1/2 an hour a day. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen in the real world.

Theleman likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never have a problem with any impact gun or any other power tool except for the low end multi tools

Well aware of the way risks of vibration, my orthodopaedic surgeon and neurologists get upset if there work gets undone

Using power tools for hours on end is just normal for most people these days. Hence, people invest in the better quality tools which tend to produce less vibration and noise than the low end

18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Last nine months or so I've started to develop pain in my right trigger finger, to the extent it hurts to make a fist, Paslode Finger I've self diagnosed it as, which I only really tend to notice when I'm not working and have time to notice the annoying twinge, isn't an issue when busy and mobile. Can accept it happens as you age but I'd have liked another ten years or so before parts start to fall off!

Funny how it doesn't affect ones ability to grasp a pint glass though......... :)

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If got "trigger finger" on all my fingers apart from my index finger and thumb on both hands. No problem making a fist but clenching things are a problem. But then there is a lot of physical damage as well as wear and tear.

We are getting to a different era of industrial injuries now. Mainly because the types of work and they way we work is completely different. The ground works guy whom lives next to my mother, nearly lost his leg to sepsis from a cut when he was laying some foul drainage. One bricky, I know delivers parcels for at least half the year because his hands can't cope with the cold anymore and just lays bricks in the warmer months. Same with a few tilers, whom are crippled with knee, back and lung problems because they are laying larger floors with bigger tiles and using electric tools to cut them.

As you say you expect it as you get into your 60's but it is happening to guys in their 30's and 40s

20. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

I had a corded Fein for years but eventually the switch failed and as I'd already got loads of Makita 18v stuff, I went for one of their 18v ones instead (DTM50Z). It hasn't got the quick change tool holder, but it's still a brilliant bit of kit.