Multi Tool Dust Extraction

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mark8par, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Mark8par

Mark8par New Member

I am trying to find a good solution for dust extraction in my garage. I have a Dewalt DW717XPS saw and various dewalt hand tools.

I am expecting that I might need a different type of dust extractor for the saw and I may add a table saw at some point but I would also like something capable for my palm sander, circular saw etc.

Possibly have a budget of about £500 or slightly more if its worth it.

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Shopvac with power take off.40mm sink waste pipe over ceiling and around to your kit. Build a cyclone which will catch most of the dust but get the round top one.

Cyclone available in uk .it's a dust deputy knock off.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183699497314

Loads of videos on YouTube covering this cyclone and running waste pipe around.
    You can heat up waste pipe to make fitting bigger so it fits tools

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some dust extractors use large bore hose & fittings,so you could use 50mm waste pipe or 68mm down pipe & reduce down to /40mm/32mm,etc.
    Dust Hose Blast Gates I got mine from Rutlands.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Alternatively, get a powerful vac which collects fine dust particles (most major brands such as Dewalt, Festool etc. use the same filters as there M-class vacs but they just don't have the cut off switch/alarm on them which is a pain in the xxx anyway! ) and add a Thein baffle to collect the majority of dust and shavings to save on bags, you can put the hose on a boom arm so you can access all areas around the shop and mount the whole contraption on wheels. Mine works for all my tools including my planer thicknesser and Circular saw. It is a Dewalt Vac with a 45mm hose.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One problem using 68mm dowqn pipe, you may struggle to find a 68mm to 50mm reducer, Hunter have one in their range,could also use flexseal 68mm to 43mm adaptor, otherwise I would stick with 50mm solvent weld waste pipe.

6. Mark8par

Mark8par New Member

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the Cyclone attachment but I need some flexibility as I have a few jobs to do that involve sanding indoors, so I want to keep dust to a minimum. Also I have been reading about class l and m vacs but from what I have read, if i pick the right one it would have the same class m filter, it would just be missing an alarm to notify a drop in performance.

What do you think if i get a class L vac with a cyclone when attached to equipment in the garage and then remove the cyclone when using elsewhere, this would help the filter last longer?
    Which Vac would you recommend, I don't mind paying a little more for something if its worth the money and performs better.

Thanks

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Here is mine. £2 bread box from car boot sale. Cyclone on top with sash window screw locks either end of lid. Draft seal on lid. Mdf I cut to lock on the top of festool like systainers do. Mdf has 4 door stops as feet so offen it will stand on floor with my cheapo shopvac as I don't always take festool to work. I've changed the hose now to pool hose 38mm..I've removed the 40mm pipe as was bit naff[​IMG]

Here it is now...with pool hose. Bit of tape and fittings fit a treat. Even made new pipe bung to push in vac with 50mm to 40mm waste pipe reducer. It's in this pic below. Plaster dust in box[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    mr moose, WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  8. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Looks good!

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that an old paint brush in the box ?

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are mainly using your tools in the garage. I would consider getting a heavy duty chip and dust extractor this one is £149 https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power...p-and-dust-collector-550-watt-rutlands+dk7108

Tuck this away and run proper ducting to the various work stations £25 - £40 and buy their power tool adaptor sets £25

What you will find is that some of the tools like the mitre saw have quite rubbish dust extraction even with a powered extraction. One of the best solutions is to make or buy a hood to gather up the chips and dust

upload_2019-10-6_10-58-44.png

With your £500 budget you can get a very good solution and could even include one of these for £150 which will collect any airborne particles that the machine extractors miss and if you do any hand sanding.

upload_2019-10-6_11-0-44.png

mr moose likes this.
  11. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I don't suppose an extractor fan from an old cooker hood would be powerful enough to adapt in a simular way as the above? Got one lying around doing nothing, just a thaught.

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Dead brush. Dried paint on it. Pushed in to show depth

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Theoretically, it would work and vent it to outside and have the end of the hose in a dustbin

14. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Do you think it will have enough power though?

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In terms of airflow cubic feet per minute (CFM) a Festool midi cleaner move 140 cfm whilst a low end cooker hood does 200 cfm. Not being an expert on air flow, it seems it could theoretically work

16. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Thanks for that, I may rig something to see what the effect has.

17. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I think it does work because I have two ordinary extractor vans going to outside in the large shed I am renting and I just have them on all the time when working it does feel like it's keeping the air clean of fine particles . Here is a pic of my dust extractor set up (as mentioned earlier in this thread) . PS.I have a wireless switch on the dust extractor so I can plug in my tools at any socket in the workshop and just move the vac hose around to them. 20191002_174104_1135.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Wayners likes this.
  18. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

I will also be doing a fair bit of filling and sanding in preperation for painting walls, the dust from the sanding gets everywhere, even if you close the doors and open the windows. Can anyone offer any other solutions with or without the dust extractor? Unless a dust extractor was used regularly it would be difficult to justify the cost involved.

19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

£35 Titan vac but add second hepa vacuum bag (henry I use) slid over the intake spoune inside vac, then fitted to sanders and tools bodged on with duck tape and waste pipe works great. @glob@l

20. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Thanks for the input, not sure what a spoune is, however you say it's where the bag goes over, so, not sure how you get a second bag onto it though?