Multi Tool

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TreeField, Oct 1, 2021.

1. TreeField

TreeField New Member

I need to cut the ends off some engineered flooring which is already glued down, only about 4mm. But need it to be a good straight line. Does the quality of the actual tool matter or just using a quality blade. I do have a cheap supermarket tool, but want to give my self the best chance. i.e. is there noticeable difference between some models in terms of how they cut wood. Like I say I need a straight line.

2. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

If you need a straight line, simply hold a piece of timber firmly in place and run the blade along the side of it.
    The quality of the tool makes no difference, but a sharp blade is always preferable.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Start the cut with the blade angled so a corner of blade bites into flooring first - not the total width of blade then reduce angle and work along the cut at this angle as one complete cut

If you use blade square on, ie, plunge cut, you’re gonna end up making repeated starts and possibly this will show in the finish cut

Much better to make one continuous cut

I personally haven’t found a great difference in brands of blades I’ve used over the years - but that’s just my non-scientific opinion :)

Used expensive Bosch blades that cut well and lasted ok but really couldn’t tell any difference between a cheap multi pack from Aldi, Erbauer from SF, and currently some from TS branded Smart

As above, budget brand tool will be fine, more than likely a bit noisier than a branded, expensive model, more vibration up your arm and will come with less bells and whistles

But ….. it will do the job :)

Wayners likes this.
  4. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

To be honest, when line straightness and cut cleanliness is critical, I've always found that no matter how careful you are (and even if you try and plunge the blade into the material corner-first as DIY Dave suggests), the blade still chatters as it enters the cut. I'd recommend a semi-circular blade as the entry and subsequent cut is chatter-free and much more accurate. These also give you a larger, flatter surface area to rest against your batten if you're going to use one. Something like the attached picture.

MultiTool_Cutting_Accysosl034fosl114ccosl312.png

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. TreeField

TreeField New Member

Thanks for all the advice. really helpful. I will get one of the rounded blades then i think and yep am going to work out a way to use a straight edge to butt up against.

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

7. TreeField

TreeField New Member

yep that straight line looks spot on. Would be happy with that. Only thing is Im taking 3mm off the ends which are butted up against something so I have to hope the 3mm of wood is not too glued down as I dont have much space to get under it. I guess once I've cut the line I can take a small chisel or use the multi tool itself to get rid of the wood.