Musty, moldy smell in new bathroom but no mold or anything obvious

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I fitted a new bathroom a few months ago and all went well and it's been fine until the last maybe 4 weeks and a rather strong musty, moldy smell has developed, despite it being spotless. Just to rule out it being something on any surfaces, I've been round and scrubbed everywhere, but it still persists. The Mrs reckons it is coming from the drains, but I have never smelled this kind of smell from a drain before, it's kind of like the musty smell you get if you leave a sports kit and towel in a bag and forget about it.

Apart from cleaning all the surfaces, I have pured undiluted bleach down the wastes, vinegar, bicarb etc.

Has anyone experienced this kind of smell from a bath waste before? How can I get rid?

Thanks!

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Dead rat lurking somewhere! o_O

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you noticed or are you aware that this smell is not all the time and does it pong when the wind or breeze is coming from any particular direction?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Depends which way he is facing when he breaks wind? :p

5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Yes, sometimes it doesn't smell too strong, and other times it's really potent.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Does it only smell when you're in the room?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

shadowfax and koolpc like this.
  7. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

No, sometimes the smell comes downstairs, but then again, you can go up an hour later and it's still there, but not that potent. Very odd.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Possible leak up in the loft space? Not yet got through the ceiling!

Have you checked under bath etc? Toilet brush/ Cleaning cloth(they also need washing)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sounds like you may have a small leak somewhere, not enough to be visible but enough to get that damp moldy smell - sometimes it can be as simple as the overflow of the bath or U bend in a confined space under the bath that causes it.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

See isn't plumbing FUN and so easy, till somat goes wrong!

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Once I was doing a job in the bathroom and knocked over one of those cylinder type toilet brush holders - the stuff that spilled out of it and ended up over was absolutely foul.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Did you taste it? Was it vintage?

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

it had certainly "aged" and unlike fine wine it didn't have a good "nose" :(

Monkey Chops and koolpc like this.
  14. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

So I've had the side of the bath off, there's no leaks, bone dry everywhere and the smell doesn't seem to be present under the bath. I can also see where I sunk the pipes for the shower into the wall that there are no leaks there either. From there I can see under the main floor and that is dry too and there doesn't seem to be any smell coming from there.

Left some bleach in the trap over night and there was no smell this morning, but the smell was there again this afternoon. Checked the trap itself and it is straight and the outflow pipe is unobstructed and it empties into a hopper outside and that is all working as it should.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you tried leaving the plugs in the basin and bath to see if this helps isolate the problem area?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  16. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

See above, everything seems to be in order, no leaks and the waste water is getting away as it should.

17. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Good idea, that's something I've not done, thanks I'll try that now, thanks!

18. Doall

Doall Active Member

Have you got a proper trap on your sink ?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  19. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

It's a bottle trap on the sink and the bath has a low profile trap because the floor of the bath is quite low and the pop up waste is quite big.

20. Doall

Doall Active Member

Without looking I'd say one off them is at fault any chance of a pic of them plz