Mysterious shower issue

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NataliaFB, Apr 7, 2021.

1. NataliaFB

NataliaFB New Member

Hi, I moved into this house a couple of weeks ago. We're currently battling with issues with the boiler which is getting replaced. Separately I've noticed the following with regards to the shower (it's a ceiling mounted waterfall shower by the way):

- When the immersion heater is off, the water out of it runs cold and there isn't very much of it - pressure appalling;
    - When the immersion heater is on, the shower springs to life with great pressure but only hot water! It's scalding save for when turned right down to cold when it's still hot but just about comfortable - maybe a little bit of cold water is managing to get through there.

Meanwhile taps seems to get hot water and cold water fine in the rest of the house and we don't need to rely on the immersion heater being on to get hot water for them. The person helping us with the boiler also said the boiler seems to be heating up the water tank fine.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to what on earth may be going on here?

I should also mention we've got a boiler downstairs, hot water tank on first floor in airing cupboard and cold water tank in loft.

Thanks

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

is there a pump and what type of shower valve?

3. Vin

Vin Screwfix Select

Sounds like a dodgy thermostatic shower valve to me.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Turn the water supplies off, take the shower off the wall and clean the filters out in the pipe connectors, then refit it and try it again.

Whoever is changing the boiler can tell you what to do.

5. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Shower pump wired to the immersion heater switch?