Mystery wire needs identifying

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Marshy, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Marshy

Marshy New Member

Hello,

Am about to decorate my dining room and want to know whether I can cut this wire. It pokes out from the skirting board, white cable (looks like a phone or alarm wire). But at the end of it is a mystery female connector. 35mm long and inner connector is 9mm in diameter.

See photo with this post;
    mystery-wire-.jpg

Been in the house 18 months and it's never been connected to anything, could it be alarm related? If I can't get an answer here, any other thoughts on how I can find out if it's important or not?!

Many thanks, Marshy

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Not too sure but it looks like some sort of audio connector. Why not trace it and see where it goes, either behind the skirting or under the floor.

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Looks the lead for LED lighting strip think its saxby

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

that cable would be the power supply to some extra low voltage lighting one end would have gone into a transformer the other would be the lights maybe outside lights

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

That makes sense, I agree, looks like some sort of connection to a moulded transformer, bet it comes out near a socket.