Nail Gun

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by flippin heck, Apr 6, 2010.

1. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Hi,

I need some advice on nail guns. For most applications I would be using it for second fix, but occasionally I would be nailing down 18mm ply for roofing and some stud work. Is there a gun that can do both?

2. the old un

the old un New Member

In a nutshell, no, however saying this it is possible to manage with a Dewalt DC618KB.
    You really need a fist fix Paslode IM350 for studwork and fireing serrated galv nails into ply decking, but we do manage with the Dewalt at times on studwork by fireing 6 no 63mm nails into bottom and top of upright studs. Works out dear on nails though.
    The only problem with Dewalt is that the nails are only 1.6mm gauge. They have a very small head and I do not think they would be suitable for ply decking, though have never tried this, we use a senco screw gun.
    For second fixing the dewalt is the cats b**ks, even for fixing skirting into block or studs
    Would suggest you do not go for Paslode IM65 second fix.
    We had one but sold it due to the misfires, Hope this helps.

3. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the good info. Had a look, also seen the DC618KA, but can't quite make out the difference between it and the B version?

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i could be wrong ;);)
    i belive the letters after the number are mostly descriptive of kit
    as in "N" means naked "K" means with kitbox "E" means electronic speed control

mind you not shure about a or b lol
    big all

5. the old un

the old un New Member

Hi, To be honest I do not know whether their is any difference between th DC618KA and the DC618KB. The KB appears to have the same spec as the KA. Dewalt have a habit of changing their model numbers every so often. This could be the reason as we bought our KA 5 years back.
    If you do buy one, buy an angle, not a straight.

6. wuddy

wuddy Member

if you have a lot of studwork/ decking to do invest in a 1st fix gun, 2nd fix nails are not meant for structural loads,

if you only have a bit to do then use a hammer, a nail gun would not pay

as for 2nd fix the paslodes are imo much better than the dewalts, a lot lighter and more compact

if you have issues with mis- firing you have dodgy gas or the gun needs a service, i have had 6 paslodes 2nd fix guns and they have all worked well until they wear out

7. the old un

the old un New Member

If you have worn out 6 paslode 2nd fix nail guns wuddy, then you are either on permanent 2nd fix or you are as old as I am.
    I think it is the later, thats why you prefer the paslode because it is not as heavy as a Dewalt.
    The Dewalt is more for the younger, fit, active and virile generation. Dare I say, like my-self. No, suppose not.

Bless yer.

8. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

While looking around I have noticed the Hitachi NT65GB. Anyone any experience using this gun?

9. the old un

the old un New Member

No , never had one or used one. The only thing I do know, is that when Paslodes patent license run out Hitachi poached the engineer responsible for paslodes gun and he designed Hitachi gun. I have been told that is why they are so similiar, and both companies nails and gas fit the other companies guns.

10. wuddy

wuddy Member

Hi old un

sorry im only 26 so not quite old yet, but being a girl i am probably more mature for my age and in this male dominated world i have worked hard to gain as much knowledge as possible so i can stand my own on site

yes the dewalt is heavy but im quite small so thats the reason i prefer the paslode ;)

11. the old un

the old un New Member

Ja, I see you ou baas ballie Wuddy. Don't believe you are a choty goty, but even if you are, at least you understand the craic. Have I got you thinking?

12. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Out of interest Old Un, what do you consider old? I started the Carpentry and Joinery game in 1963

13. the old un

the old un New Member

flippin heck. Old, how old is old. Wish some one could tell me. At times I feel 23, at other times I feel my present age of 73. Is 73 old? No. Some days it is, some days it is not. I think the secret is to think young, have the craic, and keep mind active.
    Born 1937, started work one week after 15th birthday 1952, been in the industry every since except for two years National Service. Par Mare Per Terram. Any other ex Royals about
    (See Builders Post - roof span - mystic101 - dated 3rd April 2010). Must confess do not do any manual now, due to R.T.A. Might have a day driving sitemaster if we have founds to pull, otherwise am now lumbered with all paperwork. Fortunately, I am very lucky father, have a son who has worked for me, now works with me since he left school. Leave him the manual and supervision now.
    Don't worry flippin heck, providing you have got the aspiration and the greed, you have still got a good few years yet. Luck to yer. Nice to know, a few old school around. You must remember Macmilion prime minister 57-63, his slogan was, you have never had it so good. Dead right, no insurance card no P45, no health and safety. Sign for your wages, first name that came into your head, money straight in your bin, all cash.

14. two by one

two by one New Member

This has inspired me to get my paslode serviced, which is a temperamental beast- works only sometimes. As I only use it occasionally I am considering swapping it for a Dewalt. The shop guy said the only issues with these were that when the battery ran down the nails didn't set properly.

15. flippin heck

flippin heck New Member

Yes, the good old days, how things have changed. In 1982 I went self employed, until about 10 years ago when I got an offer of what looked like a good job. Last job I was involved with was refurbs, but found the so called modern practices difficult to live with. Had to get out and self employed again, recently completed fitting out a campervan which was interesting to say the least.

16. two by one

two by one New Member

Tried a Dewalt gun today- good kit but heavy! Must be fun nailing above your head with this one...