Nailer for 6mm Plywood Sheeting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by George McKnight, Oct 15, 2019.

1. George McKnight

George McKnight New Member

Looking for some advise/recommendations on a nailer for fitting sheeting (e.g. 6mm ply) to an uneven floor, typically for lino to be overlaid. Traditionally I'd use annular nails marked out at 100mm centres, but the old knees are taking their toll, so looking for an alternative method

2. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Staples any good for this thickness? We've used them on the thinner ply for over laying previously

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another on who used 18 gauage staples for fixing ply/hardboard for over laying.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Electric or air stapler would be a common way to fix down flooring ply but how’s that gonna help the OP’s knees ?

That seems to be the main thrust of the question but still need to kneel I guess, though much quicker using a stapler than a hammer and nails

Good quality pair of gel knee pads as well - not cheap ones or thin foam that slips inside trouser knee, need to spend some more cash to protect them knees

Guy that did my floors (Amtico) couldn’t get on with any knee pads as they never stay in position

Beginning of day he used offcuts of underlay (cloud 9 I think) and gaffer taped them to his trousers

They stayed there all day with the occasional addition of another strip of tape

Looked rather peculiar in honestly as he had made this huge scruffy knee pads but they did the job he told me. Great big guy as well, must have gone a good 20 stone so that’s a lotta weight on the knees

Anyway
    I’ve got the Titan stapler from SF. I’m diy and this ain’t a pro tool I guess but works well and was £20 I think, has plenty of power to drive staples through 6mm ply

George McKnight likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What about using a collated screw gun - with extension. They can be used standing up and with 30mm screws, an easy task.

Jord86 likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve got a similar one from SF that they gave away free some years ago. Not memory foam ..... but I can’t remember (that’s a joke ..... ;))

Come to think of it, haven’t had a free gift off SF for ages. Used to get a voucher few times a year for a free gift, no minimum spend. Some bits ok, some just pure tatt

But looks like these freebies have bitten the bullet anyway :mad:

8. George McKnight

George McKnight New Member

Cheers folks...got more recommendations for knee pads than staplers...appreciate the concern :)
    The Titan Stapler might be worth a go, so will let you know how I get on

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Mike58 is on the money, hire a collated screwgun, far easier to use it standing up than bending down with a stapler.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why not just bond it down with some good quality grab adhesive ?

You can then use a length of timber and tamp it down - like dot and dab for a floor, which will even out some of the dips