Nailing Ply Subfloor

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Adzee, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Adzee

Adzee New Member

Hi there I have a slight problem doing my plywood subfloor for LVT.

I need to hire a nail gun but all I can see are First-fix guns which cannot be adjusted and the nails fire too deep (and also the nails that it takes are too big).

Then I found Air compressor guns, but these nail only from 32mm upward annular nail length.

My Ply is 5.5 and floorboards only are 18/20mm. If I over shoot it will pierce the damp membrane below but I’m at a loss as to what to use and can find no information online at any of the usual hire places. It’s a large area so would rather not have to do the job by hand.

Is anyone able to recommend a gun (or even better a hire place) that would fire nails at a set length and not penetrate too far.

Many thanks

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

This was addressed in your other thread?

What's your reasoning for wanting to use nails instead of screws?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hire a collated screw gun.

5. Adzee

Adzee New Member

it was mainly for ease and speed. Was worried of drilling too deep and potentially splitting on edges etc. I looked at the first fix nail guns but they all seemed to take too long nails unfortunately as that would have been ideal.
    It’s a large area

6. Adzee

Adzee New Member

7. Adzee

Adzee New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I’ll possibly look into these then as another poster on here had also recommended screwing the ply rather than annular nailing etc

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Buy screws of the correct length and you wont go too deep.
    If you need to drill near edges, you can always drill a pilot hole first.
    How big of an area do you need to fix down? Time difference of screwing vs nailing may be immaterial.

9. Adzee

Adzee New Member

34 square metres. Maybe a collared screw gun may help as previous poster suggested. Wasn’t sure if the screw heads holes may transfer to the finish LVT…then again I’m an over thinker for any project I attempt! Thanks again

10. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

You have no need for a screw gun - use your basic drill with a number two bit in the chuck.

11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Agreed

12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Tell SWMBO that you need to buy an impact driver to do the job.

Do you have any battery tools? If not go for a combo instead: a bit slower with the screws, but obviously loads of other tasks it can do.

13. Adzee

Adzee New Member

Yeah think I’ll use my impact driver. 4.0 x 20mm reisser cutter screws and hopefully it’ll be enough to grip it and hold.

14. Adzee

Adzee New Member

Thanks for all your advice hopefully will all go accordingly!