nails gun for skirting boards?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dolores, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Dolores

Dolores New Member

I have just finished installing my laminate flooring and I am about to put back the old skirting boards. After taking off the old paint together with very long nails (80 mm I think) and repaint them, I would like to find the easier way to put them back. I was thinking to use grispfill and to ensure them with a few nails (less than they previously had). So I got a nails gun to do the job. But when I saw the sort of nails it brings, I realized that perhaps I choose the wrong tool. The maximum nails it takes are 35mm and they seem too small in comparison with the ones I removed originally. Would anyone advise me if I can still use this gun for the skirting boards or should I just returned and get something else instead? Many thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sticky adhesive foam.

35mm nails far too short, barely 18mm in the wall, waste of time.

tore81 likes this.
  3. Dolores

Dolores New Member

Thanks for the advice. About the foam it might be a good idea but I already bought the gripfill and what I am looking for is for something to complement this. I thought people use these guns for that, but I guess they are other models more expensive that take longer nails.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What are your walls constructed from, solid plaster and sand and cement, or dot and dab plasterboard?

5. Dolores

Dolores New Member

Not very sure about that, but I would say of solid plaster and sand and cement because every time I try to hang a frame is almost impossible to drill a hole. When I removed the skirting boards It came off some hard pieces of what seemed like cement and some parts of the wall crumbled in a sandy stuff. Can be like plaques of plaster? because they have vertical lines as they have been put in pieces.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Right, solid walls then. To be honest if you were to use the gun the pins would more than likely bend and mangle up and jam within the gun each time you fire. I would buy a pack of 50mm masonry nails, warm the gripfill up on the radiator gently and run vertical beads every 2ft on the back of the skirting, then tack them in place with the masonry nails every 3ft or so leaving them sticking out an inch. Leave a full day to go off, then remove the nails with a hammer and block so not to dent the skirting. Fill holes and paint.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. Dolores

Dolores New Member

What would happen if I put the nails using the old holes location of the skirting to make it easier? All part of the wall where they were nailed it has been plastered and the holes in the wood refilled with cault.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pin gun (2nd fix) useful when dealing with dry lining. Bit of goo on the back of skirting, couple of pins fired in to hold it while goo goes off...job done :)

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Do whatever you want, as long as your skirting stays on that's the main thing.

Dolores likes this.
  10. Dolores

Dolores New Member

Thanks for the replies, I would try tomorrow the gripfill with the help of the nails and see how is going.

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If the plaster is sound, use the gripfill and leave some bricks against the skirting to hold it until the gripfill sets.

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

I used no nails on back of skirting boards, & held them in place with a couple of lengths of wood, going to other side of room.
    There'e still there. (not the lengths of wood of course)

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been using several pairs of extension support rods to hold skiting in place while gripfill was setting.

tore81 likes this.