NAPIT and NICEIC Membership and 18th Edition qualifications.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Happy Builder, Feb 27, 2022.

?

NAPIT and NICEIC 18th Edition qualification survey.

Poll closed Mar 29, 2022.
  1. I am a sole trader or QS of a NICEIC Competence scheme registered company and do not have an 18th E.

25.0%
  2. I am a sole trader or QS of a NICEIC CPS registered company and have an 18th Edition qualification,.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am a sole trader or QS of a NICEIC CPS registered company, they have confirmed I have an 18th .

12.5%
  4. I am a member of NAPIT and do not have an 18th Edition qualification.

12.5%
  5. I am a member of NAPIT and have a 18th Edition qualification, but they have not checked this.

12.5%
  6. I am a member of NAPIT and do have an 18th Edition qualification, which they have confirmed.

37.5%
  1. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I had a phone call on Friday morning from someone involved with the registration of domestic electricians at a high level, to confirm I have an 18th Edition qualification and more importantly if my Competent Person Scheme operator have checked I have an 18th Edition qualification and recorded this.

Can you answer this survey if you are a member of NAPIT or the NICEIC as a sole trader, or if if you are a NICEIC Qualified Supervisor, obviously this survey is completely anonymous and I have time limited it to thirty days because it needs to be relevant to what is happening currently.

I will send the person who asked me the question on Friday morning a link to this survey and the responses will be reviewed at a particularly high level.

Basically the qualification requirements for CPS registration were raised last year and I would not be allowed to join one now because I don’t have a NVQ level three, meanwhile there’s concerns that there’s people who are registered or a QS who don’t have an 18th Edition qualification nearly four years after the introduction of the 18th Edition in 2018.

So the question is being asked, what is really going on, hopefully there’s enough registered electricians on this forum to get a decent response.

2. The Happy Builder

The software has cropped the end off a couple of questions, the second one is I have a qualification, but the NICEIC have not checked.

Basically there’s three options, I don’t have a qualification, I do but the CPS have not checked, I do and they have checked, with options for NAPIT and NICEIC members.

3. The Happy Builder

So far so good, me as a member of NAPIT and some else who’s in the NICEIC, both 18th Edition qualified and the CPS have checked.

I may have to bump this discussion to keep it on the top page over the next few days or else it will get lost.

4. elecstick

elecstick Screwfix Select

Ooh, that's impressive, appealing to peoples vanity is a good indication of a scam

5. The Happy Builder

I was surprised to get the phone call in the first place and be asked the question, it’s all very well people setting membership requirements, but the question is are they being ignored?

6. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

If the question was about being argumentative and obnoxious on forums it might appeal to you...

7. elecstick

elecstick Screwfix Select

If you can't understand don't get involved

8. The Happy Builder

I know @Bazza-spark said a few days ago he was a Qualified Supervisor QS for a NICEIC registered contractor and when he left they carried on without having another qualified electrician, but I don’t know how long ago that was and if it’s relevant to what is actually going on at present.
    https://community.screwfix.com/threads/sign-off-in-your-own-home.249927/page-3#post-1997050

The question really is about what is happening now, since the changes in CPS membership requirements last year.

It does seem reasonable that after four years electricians will have an 18th Edition qualification, but that’s not actually the question here, the question is how many people actually acting as a QS or are a sole trader registered with a CPS are flying below the radar without an 18th Edition qualification?

None of us will know who you are if you answer the survey, we will only see the results.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Happy, it was between Oct 2007 and Jan 2013 that I was QS.

For info, I originally qualified under 14th Edition with NORWEB, then updates under 16th, 17th and 18th (there was no requirement for 15th). I have 2391 gained in 2011 and was MIET for a number of years (if that helps you).

10. CeSparky1

CeSparky1 Active Member

I think too many people managed to get onto a CPS, I remember a few years ago the government ripped into the NICEIC and NAPIT asking about how many people they have actually kicked out of the CPS and it was stupidly low... I believe as part of the improvement of quality of sparks the minimum requirements have been raised and I have heard although those without those requirements can still be members they will be looking to make sure those people are moving towards getting the required qualifications..

I am surprised that what 4yrs after the introduction of the 18th edition that anyone would still be allowed to be a member of a CPS, I think the whole covid thing has set them back massively with assessments, when I renewed with NAPIT back in August time I got an email saying I would get an assessment within the next 4 months.. Well its now end of Feb and no sign of any assessment, not that I am complaining but when I did have my last assessment it was very comprehensive, they wanted to see all latest regs books, that I had access to building regs, they checked all the certificates of my qualifications.

11. The Happy Builder

I’m sure there’s a few electricians reading this and thinking “Four years?”.

We aren’t quite there yet, but the 18th Edition was published in 2018 and it is now 2022, so yes it’s coming four years.

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

13. The Happy Builder

I’m in with Grandfather rights, but I know an electrician who a C&G level four qualification, but not a NVQ3, having dropped out of a CPS the electrician applied and paid to rejoin only to be rejected due to not having a NVQ3, something that could have been checked during the initial phone call without paying the fee, which has not been refunded.

An expensive way to find out what the requirements are.

14. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Curious to know what organisation your caller was from? clearly the NICEIC and NAPIT are private companies that "contract" or are regulated by some higher authority within the system, Home Office?, British Standards? HSE?

15. The Happy Builder

16. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

This is intended for those looking for a mature route to an ECS card Experienced Worker Assessment | Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ecscard.org.uk)
    Holding an ECS Card is not currently a requirement for membership of a CPS.
    You can see that a wide range of qualification is accepted by the NICEIC to join as a Domestic Installer
    Layout 1 (niceic.com)

As usual the changes will have unintended consequences. Namely, the 7-week, bodgeit and scarper, wonders will remain registered and highly experienced engineers will be kept out unless they jump through the children's hoops at significant cost.

Dx80 and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  17. The Happy Builder

The electrician I know dropped out of a CPS more than two years ago, so is now considered a new entrant although having been previously registered.

It's making those who will jump through hoops do so, whilst those who don't care will just carry on regardless.

seneca likes this.
  18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's me HB, I don't do any notifiable work now and tbh I'm always so busy I don't know how I found the time to do all the other stuff !

19. The Happy Builder

I spoke to some of the self employed electricians in the wholesalers who are in late twenties and thirties, the guys who should be looking at joining a CPS, quite a few are doing well working as sub contractors and do not want the hassle of joining a CPS and working directly for customers. If they do a job for friends or family they notify it through the firm they sub contract to.

20. The Happy Builder

I don’t think five responses can be considered a fair sample, though the responses so far would suggest there is an equally shared problem.