National Insurance

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Coloumb, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Looks like we will shortly ALL be taking a hit despite the promises in the Tory manifesto. Wasn't this idea of higher taxes proposed by Labour which is why no one voted for them? Weird.

2. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

The Tories promised to raise the threshold for national insurance to the same as income tax,but raised it just £68 this year,saving just £8.16! I can’t see it getting to £12,570 by 2024 as promised! Likely to get a rise to 13% or more soon.Glad I have given up working so no longer pay it!

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Self employed pay less tax in real terms than most and I set aside money as earn and have enough to cover tax bill for next 2 payments, just incase I fall ill or I get life troubles of some sort.

I don't like tax like everyone else but budget for it in advance and it's only ever going up. Im expecting tax to rise over next few years along with national insurance and any other taxes

Adamfya and candoabitofmoststuff like this.
  4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Death and taxes are all certainties in life. My only advice is not to let the bill get large, pay it when it arrives and keep on top of it. The governments PAYE site is next to useless for finding out how much to pay, we use a site that costs £6 a month and does it all for us.

5. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

Not unusual for parties to make claims and pledges to get the ‘votes’ at an election and then backtrack and do the complete opposite as soon as they are in. Been going on for decades !

6. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

Very true and either say nothing hoping people forget,or have some lame excuse!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well, I think that income tax going up was a fairly obvious likelihood to most, and/or VAT also a consideration

A certain Mr Sunak has certainly been dipping heavily into his pockets over the last 18 months or so and they must be empty by now, ready to be refilled by some means

The countries financial outgoings have been heavily hit by Corona, as well as all the usual ‘stuff’ that costs the country every single day, whilst new demands on budget crop up frequently

This money has to come from somewhere and unlike certain other countries, can’t see our loans being simply written off after a period of time

So, hit the workers in their pay packets - refill the government coffers - seems to be the obvious choice, regardless of what any politician may or may-not promise :mad:

8. Starslikedust

Starslikedust Active Member

At least Brexit is done, so we don't have to worry about that.

9. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

HI Baxi
    As you say its just going to happen Tax/VAT/NI
    Like you I am well retired,
    But the thing that really annoyed me.
    I had paid for a private pension over 30 years.
    And when I got my OAP they added to my private one and taxed the lot.

GRRRRRRRRRRR

Johnny M

10. Kas228

Kas228 Screwfix Select

But I assume you are still getting your tax allowance of £12,500 before you start paying any income tax. Unfortunately that's nothing new and has always been the case. Income including pensions are taxed like any other income above the tax free allowance.

Baxi Boy likes this.
  11. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

And what a freaking mess were in

12. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Kas,
    I was more just trying to get over that it never stops.
    Death and Taxes are as you know compulsory .
    And now the B*****Y TV license.
    As Adamfya says "What a bloody mess"
    If Gas goes up as they predict.
    I may just start digging for coal in the back garden
    I am in Newcastle area it cant be far down " that was tounge in cheek by the way"

Johnny M

13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

@JOMEL here in South Wales we don't really need to dig. Just pick it off the top when it stops raining lol. Loads in the front garden.

Adamfya likes this.
  14. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Hi Doc.
    Well I dont think you can accuse a Geordie in Newcastle
    of being a Tory.
    But who else is around.
    In passing they think LEEDS is in the North have they never seen a map of the UK ?
    In passing I spent 30 years in hospital 15 of them a cardiac unit myself lol,

Johnny M

15. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Ignore the troll mate

16. sally green

sally green Member

My parents are Labour voters no matter what BS they spout and promises they break.
    For me, I support no political party as the bottom line is all of them will say anyhting to get into power
    and sadly too many still fall for it.

All of us in our family work and worked and we all live in our own proety - so for better or worse its toires for us, lol.