Natural Stone Tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by diyjim, Sep 20, 2005.

1. diyjim

diyjim New Member

Hi

Have had natural stone travertine tiles put up in the bathroom (around the bath and shower area). Have been advised that these tiles need to be seeled after they have been put up...obviously there are a lot of rough holes and pot marks.

Can anybody advise on what material I should use? They are a natural colour ranging from a cream to a cappacino. Do i use a white grouting material to fill holes or is there something more specific.

Thanks

2. You're getting confused with two things here, and you've been mislead a little.

Travertine in it's natural form is pitted and holed, if you didn't want this finish you should have bought a filled and honed travertine to start with.

Also fitting unfilled travertine in a shower is not very good practice.

Firstly the stone needs to be sealed, this is a chemical process that stopes the stone itself being porous, your fitter should have done this already, if He hasn't ask him why He hasn't.

The best product to use is Lithofin Stain Stop MN.

Next you need to deal with the pitted surface, your best be here is a wide joint grout, or mixture of wide joint and wall grouts. For travertine you'll not get much better than BAL Ivory grout for colour (Ardex C2 Limestone is a little darker if you think you need darker).

Grout int he normal manner and then once dry (24hrs minimum) seal the whole lot again.

At no point should you use the shower until three days after the final coat of sealant.

IOnce again, your fitter should have dealt with all this.

3. diyjim

diyjim New Member

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately, the fitter has never dealt with these kind of tiles before, but so far has done an excellent job. I think however, I may finish off the sealing and grouting and that way I cannot moan if it goes wrong.

4. diyjim

diyjim New Member

Should the tiles have been sealed with Lithfin MN stain sealer before they went onto the wall?...or am I to expect them all to drop off in the next few weeks!?
    Thanks.

5. no, should be fitted raw then sealed.

this doesn't effect how they are bonded to the wall (please tell me the fitter used a powdered adhesive and not aready mixed one).

6. Washboy

Washboy New Member

For unfilled travertine I would grout the tiles first - leave for a week, then seal a couple of times. Then wait a couple of days before using.
    Anyone hear tried Dry Treat. It's a sealer from Australia - sipposed to last for 10 years. Have used it recently, stinks like hell..

7. Stinks as in cellulose or something else?

8. Tom Gunner

Tom Gunner Member

Hi, I’m trying to reseal my polished travertine tiles around the bath / shower. Just searched this forum for advice. The Lithofin you recommended, is the product you recommend Lithofin MN Stain Stop Eco, or the non Eco one, or doesn’t it matter? Thanks