Need a bit of advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mitchum77, May 22, 2021.

1. Mitchum77

Mitchum77 New Member

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of advice as i'm new to contracting and I have a bit of a situation :
    Two weeks ago I have been contacted by a person representing a letting company to build a custom storage space.
    Went there on a Friday, had a chat,etc. Customer then sent deposit for materials ( later that day).
    During the weekend I had a some family business to take care of so I texted the client that the materials will be ordered and works will be carried on Tuesday-Wednesday.
    Monday at 6 Pm my mrs calls me that two guys came to my house and they said they are not leaving without a refund, etc, she refunded them from the personal account, then I got in touch with them, they apologised and wanted me to carry the work for them, to which I said yes, but in about 7 days time as I was busy.

Work was supposed to be carried on Monday Tuesday next week, however due some personal circumstances I am not able to carry it on, so today I fully refunded my customer and told him I am unable to do the work.
    In exchange he rang me and he said they demand a £325 extra because they had to store the items in a storage unit, which I accepted as its my fault, however when he broke the cost down he said the taxi fare was £70 to get to my house, is this acceptable?

Also he said ''people'' will come to my house demanding the extra money TODAY, saturday at 8 PM.
    I have paid him deposit + £150 extra and I told him the remaining £175 will be paid next week, but I feel threatened by him, I told him not to come to my house otherwise I will involve the Police.

Any advice?

thanks

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

It’s gone 8pm I take it they didn’t turn up? If they do ring the police, nobody should be turning up at your door to collect money

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

You are not responsible for consequential loss to your customer so you have been very generous. Pay not a penny more and if they ask for anything tell them to pursue it in court. If they threaten you call the police as it becomes a criminal matter

TangerineDream and gadget man like this.
  4. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Very unusual situation??? But not giving out your personal address to customers would be sensible. Find other ways to carry out your business.

And try not to mess them about, too. Sorry for your personal circumstances, unless it was good news.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Whilst the threats are not acceptable you have rather messed them about.

As you tell it you were going to do the work Tues/Weds but after the events on Monday it went back 7 days because you were busy. Surely you were expecting to do the job the next day?.

Subsequently you put them off altogether. I'm not surprised they're miffed.