need a cordless SDS drill, what do you recommend

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Porkie, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Porkie

Porkie New Member

Hi all

am going to be making and installing my own windows and doors for myself and my parents place. Thing is, I need a cordless drill as I only have an old mains powered Bosch which is WAY too fast.

Have about £200 to spend so wondered what you lot think?

Cheers in advance

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

DeWalt dc212 18v its a little dearer than your budget, but has a rotostop function also!
    Failing that the Dw999(old number) 18v is the nuts for pure hammer drill! :)

3. !!

!! Active Member

for a one off I'd get a corded 2kg sds, I've started using the little bosch one cost about £85. I'm slowly swapping to 230v with a inline rcd when anything needs replacing

4. neilyweely

neilyweely New Member

Sorry SG, what is an inline rcd? Residual current device? Are you swapping 110v for this, and why?

I have the 2kilo bosch dfr, and it's great. It is just under your budget, and is the mutts. A 20quid cordless sds is gonna be questionable. Unless it's 2nd hand.

Just my 2p (and a little learning curve!)

Neil

5. Dewalt Devotee

Dewalt Devotee New Member

What you doing up at this time of the morning? LOL!

6. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

If it's just for windows and doors (i.e. not for breaking or plugging an 18mm hole through a couple of feet of masonry) then a lightweight cordless SDS might be a better option; I have the 12v Panasonic - here - which is excellent; it's a little over your budget but worth it if you can spring for it.

Otherwise a cheaper corded SDS may well do the job for you??

Cheers, Pete

7. cosworth

cosworth New Member

hello. ive got the dewalt dc 213 and is a gem. think toccord that the 212 is the model withOUT rotor stop. 213 is the one with.

8. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

ive recently gotten a dewalt 2kg sds and 12v cordless pair from b&poo for around £70. the sds is ok but the little 12v is very good. and well inside the budget.

9. !!

!! Active Member

10. nathybizzle

nathybizzle New Member

i would just spend the money and buy a bosch 24v sds hammer drill from screwfix or ebay it will pay for it self years after you had it and with bosch you have a 3yr warrenty worth every penny, i dropped mine from the loft and split it open bosch picked it up monday was back and my house wensday morning like brand new