Need advice for removing power sockets and switches

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by squarecrumpets, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Hello,

There are power sockets and switches that I need to replace but the paint from the wall got onto them while the painter was painting. The sockets are now stuck to the wall as a result of this. I’m afraid that yanking them out would pull the paint off the wall and create a chip or even chip off the plasterboard.

What’s the best way to remove these sockets without damaging the plasterboard or the painted surface of the wall?

Thanks in advance.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Slice through the paint around the back edge of the items to be removed with a sharp blade - utility knife or razor blade. Take care and try not to slip.
    Always preferable to ease sockets and switches away when decorating to prevent this and keep things neat.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why do decorators insist on painting round accessory plates ... So much easier and quicker to turn off power, loosen off by 5-10mm paint around and behind, wipe paint off plate and re-tighten to about 3mm. Power back on, then when dry, finish tightening.

AND IT IS NEATER.

Squarecrumpets - do you have any of te paint available? If so, do as I suggest above with a very small brush because any movement of a socket will expose a line of unpainted wall.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just too simple.:D

5. Yeah bad service that’s why. Yes I still have paint but would rather do it in a way that avoids that. The sockets are stained with paint too (obviously) so will replace them.

I’ll try a utility and putty knife. Thanks.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The sockets will usually clean up with a damp cloth and elbow grease.

If you are changing them guaranteed you will have fine unpainted lines, so when you do remove them, a quick brush over will get rid of that.

7. So brush paint around the edges before mounting the new one on?