Need advice_ mold in loft

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Callum halford, May 11, 2022.

1. Callum halford

Callum halford New Member

Hi, very new to forums but here we go, me and my partner is in the prosses of purchasing a home, on the survey is said that there is condensation in the roof and there is mould located on the undersid of the vallys I believe. A roofer said it is not a major problem and can be fixed my adding extra tile vents and moving the insulation abit from the edge of the loft I was wondering if this is correct any help would be appreciated. IMG-20220507-WA0000.jpg IMG-20220507-WA0001.jpg

2. vrDrew63

vrDrew63 Active Member

Ventilation: Yes.

There is some indication of mould on some of the rafters. But that's not necessarily a disaster. The rafters aren't rotted. They aren't going to collapse. Certainly not a "no go" on the house purchase.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Try using this to negotiate a discount, but then do improve the ventilation and monitor how effective that is.
    It worked on my house but only after several attempts.

4. Callum halford

Thank you for your reply, this is our first purchase, any idea on how much is reasonable to negotiate. The property is currently at 150k, thank you again.

5. Callum halford

Thank you for the reply

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Was this a "homebuyers report"? What exactly did it say (quote)? There could be various reasons for mould, it looks like a modern construction, as others have said it does not look like a great difficulty.

Remember, the "survey" will be pessimistic to protect the surveyor, if you are a new buyer and have a mortgage your lender will want to protect their investment, and an estate agent acts for the seller, not for you, so should not be regarded as trustworthy, although they will make it their business to be very "friendly".

7. rogerk101

On closer inspection the only parts that show as really mouldy in the photos are the plywood sarking boards, i.e. the boards that support the flashing or the valley drainage. These are non structural so a bit of mould on them is not really an issue. If metal ( eg. lead ) flashing was used, this could give rise to ongoing dampness on those sarking boards as the lead would get very cold at night ... much colder than the interior of your loft ... so it would pull more heat out of the sarking boards, making them cold enough to attract some condensation. Improving ventilation will help dry them, but improving ventilation costs money. I would try offering them 10 grand less, but would probably settle at 5.

8. Callum halford

Thank you, the sellers have been in touch, they are inly willing to knock 1000 off the price or pay 700 for a quote that they got for the extra ventilation before completion. This will be for 2 tile vents and the change of the thin boards that have mold on them, do you think this is reasonable. Many thanks

9. Roys

Roys Screwfix Select

If you do get it, also make sure the shower/ bathroom extractor fan is not venting into the loft with no ducting taking it outside.
    As well as the suggestions above for the cause and remedy, I have also seen a couple of lofts stinking with damp due to lazy installs of bathroom extractor fans.

10. rogerk101

It depends on how keen you are on this particular property. If you're very keen not to lose it and it looks like others might outbid you, then take the £1000. If you're not completely hell-bent on this one, and you're also looking at other properties, and it doesn't seem like you have much competition on this one, then play hardball. Tell them you want at least 5 grand off, but be willing to settle for 3.

11. FUNDIMOLD

FUNDIMOLD Active Member

You'd be unlikely to see the benefit of any remedial treatment between it's application and the completion of the sale. Mould has a habit of recurring every few months if the cause is not eradicated. I'd want to know if the mould was harmful especially if family members were asthmatic or prone to breathing issues. If the house is priced at the going rate for the neighbourhood it should be reduced to acknowledge the unknown cost of eradicating the mould. Those mould spores (dusty film) should be cleaned off prior to any treatment.There are mould doctors about who can analyse and recommend appropriate treatment who could put your mind at rest. (Not the local damp treatment brigade!). Can you ask the neighbours if they have any issues in their loft?

12. jimbobby

jimbobby Screwfix Select

To solve most problems..............Get some roof ventilation tiles...get Air flow in attic.
    If worried fine spray of diluted bleach on all surfaces.
    Dead simple
    j.

KingPark likes this.