Need help identifying what skirting board I have

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Ellie0912, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Ellie0912

Ellie0912 New Member

Hi everyone,

I apologise in advance if this comes across as really stupid of me, but I need help identifying what skirting board I need to purchase for my property. I have bought a house with some skirting already in place, but some other areas are missing bits, so I need to purchase more and sort this out. I have been looking online to try and identify the style of board I need, but I cannot seem to locate it. Can anyone help? I have attached a picture of the current skirting board.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ellie IMG_5253 (1).jpeg

2. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

Definitely not a silly question. Matching skirting off the shelf is often not possible.
    Even with 'standard' profiles there are differences depending who makes them.

A few options
    Replace the lot
    Replace in a small room to provide spares for a larger room.
    You can get it made to match.

What sort of age is the house?
    Fairly recent estate, you may find all houses have the same. Keep an eye out for neighbours having building work done and skip dive :)

3. dray

dray Screwfix Select

Are you able to get a small piece off the wall, as the best bet would be to take it to your local timber merchants and get them to match it for you.

4. Ross Curtis

Ross Curtis Member

Looks like ogee but the top part has been skimmed over (so it's embedded into the plaster).

Honestly, you're probably not going to match it. I'd slice the current lot out, pack behind and replace the lot with a taller skirting profile.

McSport likes this.
  5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It's a standard ogee. You may find what your local merchant is selling is a close match, or you may not - it just depends on the cutters they are using and they do differ slightly. However, I wouldn't rush to rip all the old out (unless it's all horribly painted like your pic, in which case you might.....sanding skirting to repaint it is IMHO not time well spent). People will never notice if the ogee on one wall is slightly different to the ogee on another, so as long as you don't try and match them on an external corner, you'll get away with slightly different profiles on different walls.

If you match on an internal corner it is quite likely furniture etc hides the corner anyway.

If you do decide to replace the lot, I would strongly consider using MDF skirting - readily available in huge range of traditional profiles and its straight and knot free to take paint easily. Only if you want a natural or stained finish would I use "real" wood

6. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

It is neither ogee or taurus, it is probably part of a batch that was run of specifically to skirt a new housing estate at the time.

Jord86 and Astramax like this.
  7. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

My bad - agreed it isn't ogee -it's standard Torus - no sign of the second radius that would make it ogee.

8. Ellie0912

Ellie0912 New Member

Thank you so much to everyone who replied. I have been going mad believing I was being stupid for not being able to find an exact match online. My house was built in the 1980s and I think they probably just used the same skirting board for every house in the street. I will see if I can take a part of the current skirting board to a shop and get help matching as closely as possible. I really appreciate your time and help with this!

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You shouldn't have much trouble finding it - it's a standard profile - e.g. from my merchants https://www.cwberry.com/softwood-torus-moulding With a 3m length being ~£5ish you can see why I think sanding the old stuff is not a good use of time!!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No way is that ye olde standard Torus! Similar but deffo not the same.

arrow likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

No, it's not quite which is why it was also thought to be ogee, but it isn't quite that either. It's close enough to torus that people won't notice the difference unless the two profiles are butted against each other

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If you bought a Torus profile and cut the quirk off the top so only the rounded section was left, then it wouldn’t be too far away from the photo. Have to look for one with a deep curve profile.

arrow and Mr Rusty like this.
  13. Ellie0912

Ellie0912 New Member

That’s a good idea. Thank you!