Need more work!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jerry1, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

As the title says, I need more work!
    How does everyone get there work I’m just starting out self employed and no idea how to go about it,
    Any advice appreciated
    Cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I can’t help you mate but may help others to make suggestions if you mention your trade ?

3. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

I’m a kitchen fitter mate

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

But of a giveaway Dave - look at which forum it's in. In fairness, my first thought was exactly the same....

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Are you starting out self employed on your own as a sole trader working in Mrs Jones's house for example or are you looking to work as a subcontractor on sites?

6. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Sole trader mate yeah I’m not fussed about going on site I’ve no experience of working on site either

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

True Willy, that’s fair comment :)

Forget about individual forums / trades and just usually read through the home page :D

8. WillyEckerslike

Me too.

9. WillyEckerslike

It might be worth checking in with the local estate agents. Landlords will quite often carry out a makeover or refit in-between tenants.

10. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Good thinking! Never thought of that, do estate agents pass fitters details on ??

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I would suggest going on site for a while in order to get money in, and build up private work in your local area with advertising and word of mouth, the phones not going to ring if people don't know you exist unfortunately, but it takes time for people to be aware of you.

12. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Yeah i understand it takes time to build up a good name and reputation, have you any idea about how to get site work??

13. WillyEckerslike

They've probably already got a team of tradesmen on their lists but you never know.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Go round the housebuilders around you and ask to speak to the site manager, he'll have the details and contact numbers for their kitchen fitter subcontractors. Or another side of the business is fitting for the big sheds, B&Q, Wickes etc.

15. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

I’ve been thinking about b&q and wickes never heard good things about b&q though, works work I guess though! Do you just go instore and ask how to get registered with them ?

16. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Where have you previously been working and how long have you been kitchen fitting?

17. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Market place on Facebook, best of all, it's free. :D

18. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Fitting for just over 10 years and working for someone with his own contract mate

19. Jerry1

Jerry1 Member

Haha I’ve just this minute been looking at that! Do you get work from it ?

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It's never gonna make you a millionaire, but yes there work to be had, sign up to the "I Need" section as well, then you can offer your services to people who come on asking for ?? Whatever you feel you can do.