Need some input on a Shed build with a difference..

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by HellomynameisPaul, Apr 22, 2021.

1. HellomynameisPaul

HellomynameisPaul New Member

Hi guys, hope everyone is well. I'm in the process of planning a shed build to protect the wife small business stock of Apparel. The shed size will be 6x12. The site we propose to use is an area of wooden decking that is approx 4 years old. It currently holds the plastic style Keter shed and Keter boxes. I will double-check the structure underneath prior to starting but cannot see it being a problem.

As the shed will be built on a wooden base Im assuming the secondary shed floor and skids won't require any damp proof membrane?

As the decking is already raised I'm debating on what size timber to use for the skids, as the decking is already raised approx 6-12 inches. Should I space the skids every 12 or 16 inches?

For the floor, it seems common for 18mm OSB or ply to be used. Which would be better?
    In regards to the framing, I'm unsure if 3x2 if is overkill, as my other shed uses 2x2?

I've seen many youtube videos using ply on the outer skin then vapour barrier with featheredge/shiplap on top? Is there any real benefit to covering in ply and shiplap?

Next, I need to decide if I need insulation. It may be a good idea but unsure if the budget permits both a covering of ply and internal insulation. Which would be better?

I appreciate I have many questions but each video seems to give varying advice with none using an existing decking platform as the 'slab'. I would really appreciate the help of the community in getting my shopping list together.

Many thanks Paul.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

You say it's to store your wife's small business stock of apparel, which implies it's nothing other than a store-room. Unless it's going to be heated, there is no point in insulating it. The only purpose of insulation is to slow down heat transfer, so if there is no heat to transfer then there is no need for insulation to slow down the non-existent heat transfer.

3. HellomynameisPaul

Many thanks for your reply roger. Would an outer skin of ply be any benefit? What is the primary benefit of a ply lined shed ? vs a simple frame, membrane and 18mm shiplap? Also, any ideas of the framing size timber.

4. rogerk101

Ply lined sheds allow smaller timber frames because the ply is in effect providing the bracing that is effectively lost because shiplap is just individual planks. It also makes the space easier to draught proof, but if you're putting in a breathable membrane that'll make it reasonably draught proof anyway. I have a few sheds and none of them have ply and they've all stood the test of time so far - the oldest is now 25+ years old and is still looking good. I treat it every 5 years or so and so far no rot at all. I only ever use pressure treated timber, as it's far superior to the dipped stuff that many of the cheaper shed suppliers use.

5. HellomynameisPaul

All makes sense. What size wood would you suggest for the framing of the walls/studs?

6. rogerk101

I use 3x2 pressure treated construction timber for my shed framing. It's way heavier duty than the shed manufacturers use, but it's better.