Need to stop gate from being opened

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by john9159, Sep 2, 2012.

1. john9159

john9159 New Member

Hi,
    I manage an allotment site where one member (getting on a bit in years) insists on driving on another persons plot with his car.
    What I urgently need to do somehow stop one of the two gates to the site from opening.
    The attached image shows a riser bar which goes into the ground holding the gate shut. Ideally I want to somehow fit a lock to this but cannot for the life of me come up with a solution.
    I thought of drilling through the side of the gate but as the metal is 1/2" thick, this will take too long to do.
    An alternative was to drill through the riser bar and fit a padlock through, which would stop the bar from being raised and hence stop the gate from opening.
    I need a quick solution before he gets back from holiday and causes more havoc.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. dickllewellyn

dickllewellyn Member

I would say if you knows someone who can weld, or indeed can weld yourself, simply weld a flange on to lock to?

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Is there room to slip a long shackle padlock between the bolt and the frame just under the top fitting lug and snap it through the handle loop?

Regards,
    teabreak

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

5. A length of chain going through the bolt's hand-loop, and down under the lower gate frame (between it and the ground) making sure the chain is fitted to the right-hand side of the bolt pin as it goes in to the ground so's it can't be slipped up to the left.

Or else even loop the chain through the handle as before and then under the topmost bolt lug - as teabreak was suggesting for a padlock. If you use a thinner chain, just wrap it around a few times...

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't think either of those would work, DA.

With the first one, you would need to go through the handle with the chain, down to the bottom, loop round the first round bar, then back to the handle, very tightly pull taut, then padlock.

With the second, it looks to me that the top lug is open, and the bar and chain would easily pull out from it.

Could bolt some clamp at the bottom rail, then chain to that!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. DIYDave

DIYDave Guest

Not sure if john is still here or maybe he's still down at the allotment but......

Two large jubilee clips, fully open as large as they go then pull the tail out from the threaded screw
    Wrap the opened clips around the bolt and frame, 1 near top and other near bottom, feed tail section back into screw and thighten fully

That should stop the old *

Failing that plant a couple of IED's, behind the locked gate of course so as not to get anyone going by foot !!!

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Next time the old chap drives on to the allotment, have another allotment holder engage him in a deep conversation about the benefits of "Growing your own cauliflowers for fun and profit."   Whilst he's deep in conversation, the other allotment holders can fill his Nissan Micra, with various excrement based fertilizer. (specially, extremely smelly fertilizer products.  When he returns to his car, someone has already placed an A4 note on his windscreen saying " Drive on my plot again and the cat get's it."
    He'll soon get the message that he's not welcome.