Need urgent advice please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rma, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Rma

Rma New Member

Hi
    I have had numerous plumbers and no-one can advise or help. I can hear my neighbours use their water in my house and when the water stop it bangs my pipes. When my water is off the banging of pipes happens. Its very loud. When I use my washing machine when the water stops entering the machine it bangs the pipes.

Can anyone give me advise. The noise is horrible and it's annoying. I've googled and it says that I need a plumber but the ones I've had haven't been able to say what the issue is. I've had my cistern changed on toilet had pipes changed around washing machine. One plumber said its the neighbours

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

3. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Shock arrest or replace defective ball valve somewhere- maybe in loft

4. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Try turning yours and neighbours stopcock down to reduce flow and hence reduce velocity of water in pipes, sometimes this works sometimes not.

5. Rma

Rma New Member

Why doesn't plumbers know this. They're come said that the pipes needed changing. I've had Servern Trent out They're said they couldn't do nothing water pressure is fine. Its also finding a reliable plumber as I want someone who's not going to look at me and tell me what I want to hear

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

They probably do but at the end of the day its suck it and see semi bodge and possibly one that plumbers wouldn't be happy putting their name to and charging for

7. Rma

Rma New Member

Thanks. I know what your saying but surely its their trade someone should know what the issue is. Its just annoying that I cannot get rid of the noise. Il have to keep trying

8. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I had a high pitched whine from mine for a bit and the washing machine clunk, as suggested my plumber diagnosed too much pressure, he put a valve thing on that I can turn up and down, didn't need to because this fixed it, took bout 10 mins.

If your washing machine is clunking I don't think it's their system.

9. Rma

Rma New Member

What about when neighbours use their water and the constant banging when the water isn't in use?

10. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Just to add...you can sometimes stop the washing machine clunking by just turning the water flow down a tad at the stop going into the washing machine.

11. Rma

Rma New Member

I've tried everything and I'm not getting anywhere. Even done the draining of water with stop cock and still nothing. I think the neighbours have ruined my plumbing

12. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

All neighbours think it's their neighbours, do you have a shared plumbing system?

13. jonjo60

jonjo60 New Member

If all the flow rates are fast out of your taps, into toilet cisterns, washing machine etc, then the pressure is excessive. Find the main feed into the house/properties and fit a pressure reducing valve.
    I had to do that in my detached house. I fitted the valve under the kitchen sink where the mains comes into the house.
    Now no hammering in the system and flow is more than adequate.

Alan22 and Deleted member 246321 like this.
  14. Stu3540

Stu3540 New Member

Second advice regarding fitting a pressure reducing valve. We had awful issues with water hammer similar to yours. Installed PRV on incoming mains & reduced from 5 bar to 2.5 bar and all issues solved.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  15. Yep install a PRV would be my thoughts too. As it’s happening when washing machine is shutting off it suggests the pressure is excessive.
    I suspect most plumbers aren’t interested because noises can be a real pain to find and often it’s a case of trial and error and multiple visits, and then the customer gets annoyed at them.

16. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

*** And getting access to where one of these might be ideally fitted can be a real pita sometimes.......

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  17. Rma

Rma New Member

You've all been great with your advice just need a plumber now!