Neighbour's builder damages garage wall

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Schnupt, May 27, 2020.

1. Schnupt

Schnupt New Member

Our boundary with the neighbour consists of the length of our detached single garage then a featheredge fence running down the slope to the bottom of the garage.

Our neighbour has decided to build an open-slat timber screening running level and at significant height around all 3 sides of his garden, obviously not accounting for the slope. At its highest approx 2500mm high - not ideal but willing to get over it.

However, the supporting posts for the screening have been fixed back directly onto the original featheredge fencing posts (we have the post side so assume we are liable for the maintenance?)

The screening continues along and covers the wall face of our garage and the supporting framing has been drilled and fixed back directly into our garage's brickwork. Unfortunately, we have discovered the internal face of the brickwork (single skin) into the garage has been blown out at every fixing location as a result

As far as i understand it, the garage sits wholly within our boundary, although the face of the brickwork faces into the neighbours garden. We were not made aware that any works were being undertaken, and not made aware that our garage (and possibly our fence if we own it?) would be used as the supporting element.

- Should the existing structures be used as support in the first place without consent?
    - What action can be undertaken to rectify the damaged brickwork?
    - On a scale of 1-10 how ridiculous am i being?

I appreciate this may appear petty, but just wanted to seek some advice from the community who actually build for a living!

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Tell him to remove the fixings from your garage and come round and fill the holes. Out of order without asking first.

gadget man, rogerk101 and Abrickie like this.