Neutrals for Smart Switches

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by LappyGB, Jan 15, 2021.

1. LappyGB

LappyGB New Member

Hi there,

I'm researching whether it's doable to fit smart switches everywhere into my house and have been hit with the neutral wire dilemma (I am trying to avoid using no-neutral switches where possible).

On the first floor it's no problem as I can feed neutrals through the loft and straight down to the switches from the corresponding light sockets. I don't fancy going into the plasterboard to try feed neutral wires to the downstairs switches, easier to get the no-neutral switches.

My hall light is on a two gang switch with the front outdoor light which has a neutral connection (I guess required by the outdoor light), so no issue for the smart switch there. Half a metre from that switch and inside the same partition wall is the kitchen 2 gang switch with no neutral. Is it okay to connect the kitchen switch up to the hall switch's neutral when they are on the same lighting circuit? The kitchen switch would have a live coming from the corresponding ceiling rose, L1 back to the ceiling rose, neutral going to the neutral connection on the hall switch.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking is does it matter where the neutral returns to, as long as it goes back into the same circuit?

Thanks

2. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

Yes you can borrow a neutral as long as its from the same lighting circuit but you can't borrow a neutral from the socket circuit..

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Do smart switches actually need to be installed at the location of the original switches?

4. LappyGB

LappyGB New Member

I believe they can operate any smart device once powered, so yeah don't need to be connected to any light or device. I am looking at switches that are still wired to the lights themselves with the option for manual on/off and additionally through WiFi.

Thanks for the reply spirits, just to clarify I'm not mixing any circuits, I just wondered if it's okay sending a neutral back into the circuit before or after the ceiling rose that is providing the live, rather than directly back to the corresponding neutral. I assumed it would be fine but don't wanna risk anything.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  5. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

6. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Call me old fashioned but all technology has issues ,and I had a customer who had a shower come on and temperature remotely. ,
    Eventually went back to conventional operation, the shower went in the bin,exspensive all round.will be shouted down but I think there are others think the same , what is a problem just operating a switch , if you are inferm great but how idle is this , back to drawing neutrals in I do all my lighting circuits via looped neutral in switch box to avoid a task of wiring possible three lives in a ceiling point , I for the extra cost have run a three core up to ceiling point and made a parked live for future work , a bit difficult due to sheathing or conduit drops , so drop 1 m/m unless chasing out wall then install 3 core and cpc