New Acova radiator not heating in new extension

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mrwhisky1974, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Mrwhisky1974

Mrwhisky1974 New Member

Hi All

I wondered if someone could help solve our plumbing mystery.

We recently had an extension built and when doing this they removed one radiator and piped from that to two new ones. They used what I cuold only describe as a junction that went off in a Y shape from the removed rad pipes.

One radiator is fine but the other just hasn't warmed up properly since it was installed. I can feel that the inlet is hot but the radiator only ever gets luke warm.

The plumber has balanced the system and it got a bit better, but still not as warm as the others. Then he flipped the radiator round (after I pointed out that the instructions said that the inlet had to be diagonally opposite the bleeding valve).

It's still no better and only gets really hot if I turn off lots of other rads in the house.

Could this be a blockage in the new radiator? I've read something about "baffles" and wondered if this could be inhibiting the flow as it was originally installed the wrong way around.

Any helpful ideas would be gratefully received. The plumber is talking about going under the floor to inspect the pipework but it seems to me that the water stops somewhere just after the valve.

Thanks

2. DangerousDave

DangerousDave New Member

i'm no plumber, but as you've said if you turn off the other rads it gets hot then it's not blocked, its more likely still not balanced enough or the heating system isn't on for long enough for the pump to get hot water to that rad (guess the rads at the end of the run)

3. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Some possible reasons:
    1. The pipework was of sufficient capacity to feed the original radiator, but doesn't have the capacity to feed 2.
    2. The system isn't balanced correctly.
    3. The malfunctioning radiator requires flow and return to specific sides and this has not been done. (Your "baffles" concern). Not likely as it does heat up with others off.
    4. The new radiators have been connected in series instead of in parallel.
    5. The boiler doesn't have the capacity to heat the number of radiators you now have. (Very unlikely).