New bathroom Btgr

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Anth79, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Anth79

Anth79 New Member

(I swear the title of this was "new bathroom ceiling" when I hit go)

The bathroom ceiling in my new house has got very mouldy over this winter.

To the point where wiping it off once a week has started taking paint with it in places.

I'm thinking I need to replace it with something more resilient, like plastic.

Wide window which is opened for showers.
    There's a fan in the middle, linked to the light, flexible hose into the loft about 1m to the vents along the side of the roof.

It's 2m high but the bath is fairly high, so the ceiling gets pretty wet.

There's some but not a great deal of insulation above it. I'm reluctant to mess with it as The electrics look a bit old.

I gave it some extra paint last summer, zimsser anti mould but it's not made a difference. I'm having to resort to bleach to clear the mould.

I'd like to avoid this next winter and I don't think a sand down & more paint will cut it.

If I get new plastic ceiling so the mould can't get into it like it had with paint; new fan and electrics above so I can lay on the insulation...

Would that do it?
    What does a plastic ceiling look like?
    what do I search the web for?
    Who might I pay to fit it?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Any old houses that I do a bathroom refurb on, I always suggest insulated PB on ceilings etc, especially if a hipped roof.