New Bathroom layout

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Danielle93, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Hi, wanting to redesign my bathroom. I've attached pictures of the current layout and new layout. I want the new, shorter bath to go along the back wall with the toilet next to the sink. I had it designed and they saod the toilet waste pipe could just run behind the new bath but I had a plumber in today to give me a quote but he said due to the waste pipe size, that isn't possible. Can someone explain this to me? Surely waste pipes cant vary in size that much that it's just a straight no? He said that I'd have to rip out all the walls to make this possible .
    What about having the bath a couple of inches from the wall and tile a shelf round (also giving me extra showering room?)

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Toilet waste pipe is that presently through a outside wall?

No window in bathroom, no room dimensions, so impossible to work out run of new toilet wast pipe.
    Looking at your sketches, first one layout works best.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Depend on how high of the floor the bath is and the slope on the sides - you could get the pipe round with the right bath. Your idea of moving the bath out - just under 100 or 150 mm (depending on your tile choice) would work too. Have a batten just under flush with the bath edge, then lay tiles flat on top coming just over the edge of the flat around the bath, edged in quality steel trim, and will look fine.

Danielle93 likes this.
  4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

The waste pipe from your toilet will be 4" (10cm) diameter... over twice what the waste from the sink and bath will be.
    That's quite big, and would make things very tight along that back wall, if not impossible.

That would be a big improvement and might make it possible.

Another consideration is which end of the bath the taps and waste fittings are, and the route of the water pipes to the taps.

It's all solveable, but you need to consider all the pipes that will be under/behind the bath, the fact that the pipes, (toilet especially), will need to have some "fall" on them, and that there really should be some means of access to them for maintenance purposes.

Good luck with it all,

Regards,

Cando

Danielle93 likes this.
  5. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

As said above - the toilet waste is the most awkward as it's 4" diameter and must have a 'fall' all the way along its run until it enters the vertical waste pipe outside. But the plumber seems ok about that aspect of it.

So what I reckon he's concerned about is simply the lack of space around the bath's 'bowl' which can leave little room between it and the wall. If that's the case, then your own idea of a tiled shelf with a shorter bath is certainly a solution. It might even be that the bath would need keeping out from its side (that's the end, 'top' in your sketch wall) and not just at the RH end.

That's all doable, but tiled shelves in a showering area really need doing properly if they are not to move, crack and leak over time.

Danielle93 likes this.
  6. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I have put room dimensions on, may be too small to see. Back wall is 147cm and 263cm long. There are no windows. No outside wall, back wall is adjoining wall with house next door (terraced).

7. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Sorry, taps are currently on the back wall and will just be moving to adjacent wall (so 90 degrees) in line with toilet and sink.

8. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

So are there some smaller toilet waste pipes? Not to change it, just wondering why the person who designed my bathroom said that running the waste around the bath would be fine but seems to everyone else that it's undesirable?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:oops:

Couldn't see them on phone, but now on pc I can,so where does toilet waste go,through wall, floor?

I would fit L or P shape bath in present location, if your desperate to keep the bath.:)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The basin waste could be easily fed into the toilet waste, either into the pan connector, McAlpine do one with a built in connector, or using a flange into the pipe. That will save one pipe run.

KIAB likes this.
  11. candoabitofmoststuff

Unfortunately "designers" all to often are only involved in, and interested in, appearances and looks, and pay no heed to pragmatism!
    In the same way, tool salesmen only sell the tools, they don't use them!

No slight meant towards any particular designer, because they do come up with good ideas as well!

Cando

Danielle93 likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

McAlpine WC-CON9V or WC-CON8V 90 degree bend depending whether plain end or with collar.:)

Danielle93 likes this.
  13. candoabitofmoststuff

I'm not a plumer, just DIY... but I'm pretty sure the answer to that specific question is "No".
    (Unless you mave a macerator type... and I'm sure everyone will recommend against that in this situation).

Cando

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

The toilet waste has to be 4" dia unless you were to fit a pumped macerator - really undesirable.

That 'top' 147cm wall - is that the outside wall? If so, the waste pipe could be taken out through that wall in a straight line from the RH wall and then elbow leftwards on the outside to connect with the vertical vent pipe (which I presume is on the top LF corner outside?)

A Q - do you really want a bath? You could fit a really nice step-in shower cubicle there and have a floor-to-ceiling shelving unit on its RH side - and that would cover the waste pipe as it heads oot.

KIAB and candoabitofmoststuff like this.
  15. candoabitofmoststuff

Excellent idea... especially as the proposed bath is considerable smaller than normal.

Cando

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree.:)

17. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

If you do want a bath there, then I guess a 1400mm long one would be safe ( https://www.drench.co.uk/baths/small-baths?bath_size=10402 ) (Choose one of the wider ones for easy showering space)

There should be plenty of room now for that 100mm waste to run under the tap end, but I'd still encourage the plumber to take the soil pipe straight out that wall in the top-RH corner of your sketch.

18. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Out sideways through the wall then asssuming through the wall/floor in bedroom.

19. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Unfortunately not an outside wall. Its a terraced house!
    Bath not super important, more of a luxury!

20. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Also, doesnt the waste pipe need to slope? Meaning by the time it reached the toilet it would be much higher than the back of toilet?