New Bathroom told must have coving?!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chris Leishman, Oct 3, 2021.

1. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

They probably don’t have a wet tile cutter so can’t do thin cuts

2. Chris Leishman

Chris Leishman New Member

Selfie mode works but photo not as good.

Attached Files:

3. Chris Leishman

Yes they have done a full tile from the floor

4. jonathanc

Should have half tile at floor and at top of room. Also the header in the window needs redone. The grout line does not line up

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Then that is why they have used coving. To be honest looking at your photo with the exception of what Jonathan pointed out it doesn't look like a bad job, and the coving looks decent enough going by this photo, your choices are either live with it, remove the coving and top row of tiles, cut new ones and lay in conjunction with a top row of border tiles, or hack the lot off and redo. Oh, or double board and the ceiling with 15mm plasterboard and skim to take up the gap, but as it's low already you may not wish to, though it's only 20 or so mm.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Bit of a dilemma now. To redo that they would just about need to completely strip out the bathroom and start again. If you can't live with the coving or a strip you'll be in for a bit of a battle I think.

7. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Except for header doesn't look to bad but I;m ok with coving.Picture of bath wall?

8. Chris Leishman

Hi Jonathan, I'm not sure what the header means, can you elaborate please?

9. Chris Leishman

Attached Files:

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I don't think the guy who tiled it was a tiler by trade going off his straight joins with the tiled recess and the mismatch of grout lines above the window, but it certainly doesn't look like a bad job from those photos. Other than the coving, are you happy with it?

11. jonathanc

Look at the top of the window. The tiles stuck “upside down” don’t line up with any other lines…

Oh and the tiles in the recess above the bath don’t line up with rest of wall :(

Chris Leishman likes this.
  12. Chris Leishman

I've had to get them to take off some cracked tiles they put up but other than this they have been fine

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Then make your decision, try to achieve an amicable resolution, and enjoy your new bathroom. There are far worse things to ruin your day.

14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Depends what line you are looking at?

15. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Inclined to say if the coving gets on your nerves get them to take it off and live with a tile strip at the top, at least you will then have a clean line. Not ideal but you will probably never notice it after a few weeks and many would never notice at all; most on here would though :)

16. jonathanc

I stand corrected optical illusion I think abs the recess tiles do line up

17. koolpc

koolpc Screwfix Select

Tiling looks quite good except for bit under window which is easily fixed.

As for the coving, if you dont like it, remove it now and get it sorted as otherwise it is going to play on your mind.

Have you paid them in full?

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

late to the party, but another alternative is to batten the ceiling and then install lightweight plastic cladding boards to a level just below the thin strip of tile. I like this stuff in a bathroom - looks smart & tidy. e.g. https://www.pvccladding.com/pvc-ceiling-panels-c-542/

However, you do lose a little height and you are already a bit low...

koolpc likes this.
  19. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Look at the brick pattern going down the wall. If the guy had followed the same pattern on the horizontal ledge, the wall pattern would have been thrown off - which would have looked way worse. He thought about it before doing it. Think before you criticise.

20. jonathanc

why don’t you read properly before you criticise? See my subsequent post 3 above yours…