New bathroom

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by NutnBolt, May 2, 2017.

1. NutnBolt

NutnBolt New Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to forum and have recently purchased my first property. The whole house bar the kitchen needs renovating. But I'm here to initially ask about my bathroom.

Been on the look out for a new suite but with so much choice, I've got a little lost with it all. What I'm wanting to know is there a difference in quality between the branded stuff such as Silverdale, Bagnodesin etc and the stuff that can be purchased from the likes of B&Q, Wickes, Victoria Plumbing and alike?

Really don't know where to start with it all?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get tactile with the goods if poss.
    Failing that, you'll have to trust online reviews etc. Price isn't always an indicator of quality as I've been impressed by some very reasonably priced suites. Sorry, that probably isn't helping! :)

3. NutnBolt

NutnBolt New Member

Thanks but not that easy to go see and touch the goods. Plus not many reviews out there for such products.

4. Tony C

Tony C New Member

Simples, what do you really want, Rolls Royce from A to B or Lada doing the same. If you just want to soak in a hot bath it won't matter, I've installed all types, they're tubs. But personal preference counts, some have extras that appeal to female or male tastes ( note the sexist sidestep there ) . Check out the colour & add on you'd like, tub itself ain't important, then check if the add on could be cheaper separate from elsewhere.

5. A basin is a basin is a basin - if it looks good, then it'll look good and hold water. (Obviously some shapes might be less practical - square corners, etc, so be prepared to compromise if style is a major issue).

Taps - these will vary a lot in quality, but even cheap ones will work fine, will last a few years and should continue to look good (none will 'rust' for instance...)

Toilets - again they are all pretty similar; they should all work. Read on-line reviews, tho', and more unconventional pan styles might make them less good at getting rid of their 'solids'...

Baths - probably where the largest variation in quality might be found. I suspect that quality has improved so much over the last decade that really cheap thin baths are pretty much a thing of the past, but certainly don't entertain anything less than 5mm thick if it's a conventional plastic/fibreglass-backed type.

6. Have to say, neffer heard of Silverdale or Bagnodesin.

When I did an upstairs en-suite a decade ago, I went for change in style from the traditional 'Victorian' pottery ('Lane' or 'Dale' or summat from SF) I used downstairs. I found what I liked on eBay and it turned out to be very decent quality with no issues at all.

All the stuff from the 'sheds' - B&Q, Wickes etc and our hosts - will be perfectly fine.

The main issue - should you go for an unknown brand (and it occurs with some 'knowns' too) - will be poorly-flushing/clearing toilets, so read reviews if you can.

7. romangreek

romangreek New Member

Hi I am a bathroom fitter and the best place to purchase a suite is via the internet from either victoria plumbing or plumbstop you cut out the middle man and get reasonably good quality goods, make sure you check the goods prior to the delivery men leaving and ensure you return them in the time aloud should you find a fault, the best site is victoria plumbing not victorian plum, buy a bathroom suite package - thats the best deal