New build - leak onto dry lined walls.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Danny1991, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

D3D8B680-8F4B-4ACB-A530-6CA6C62690BD.jpeg D54B5DFF-9D5F-4B13-A32A-DFD29F364B01.jpeg 84C8B16E-7DDF-449D-899B-CE3DF3A9D6F7.jpeg 2ADBF2CF-7A5E-4C75-ADF8-FA73A5257D01.jpeg Hi, I’m looking for advise.

Moved into a new build 6 weeks ago. Last week we had a leak from the pipes under the landing then it came leaking out through the downstairs kitchen skirting.There was a lot of water passed through, and under the stairs cupboard wall is still drying out.

Site manager came out to look and said we can just paint over and the dry lined walls will dry out. Little bit worried the dry lined panels are warped with water... or will weaken over time.

Any advice as to what will happen to the walls... I don’t want to be stuck up creek in a few years time!

Cheers.

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Paint them and then they'll dry: inspires confidence!!

Have they provided dehumidifiers? Helped at all?

I think I would go over the house with a fine toothed comb and prepare a snag list. I did this for my sisters house some years ago which was shambolic in terms of listening to her problems (as she was just a girly) by the site mamager.

My list ran to 20 pages but it all got done eventually though it involved the NHBC and the personal intervention of the MD

Danny1991 likes this.
  3. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

Just said he can get a decorator in on Monday to paint over!

I’m taking it further but want advice off a builder/plasterer to say what they think!

4. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

First thing, is not to let them start anything until it's confirmed dry, one coat and he's done his bit.
    EOW (escape of water) as it's actually known, can take a long time to fully dry out, so for that reason they should provide dehumidifiers to help speed this up, along with a drying cert to confirm tested and all dry.

You may start to get some staining to the lower section of the dry lining and this will need dealing with by a decorator, which will generally mean repainting the whole wall not just the lower section, if it is actually down to them, then I would suggest you ask for an intrusive in-depth RH test and ask to see the drawings and results when finished, they will have to sort the decorating out at their cost, as for the door frames and skirtings, if these are MDF then wait a few weeks and see what happens with them. I don't know how much water there was, so you might be lucky, but either way I wouldn't rush to let them in for a quick fix

Danny1991 and blarblarblarblar like this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You need to wait at least a week for that water to dry out. Re decorating is pretty low down the list, the first priority is to make sure the plasterboard doesn't crumble and then make sure that you have no mold appearing. Slapping paint especially a "stain block" will just seal in any moisture making things worse in the long term

judging by those pictures, as Stevie22 said you need a complete snagging list. I wouldn't accept that standard

upload_2018-8-16_19-37-1.png

Danny1991 and blarblarblarblar like this.
  6. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

Thanks for replies so far - very helpful.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I also would be asking them to remove the skirtings and architraves and replace. You can see where the architrave has "blown" at the bottom.

It will only be MDF and once it gets wet it is knackered. The lining looks to be softwood so should dry out.

While the skirtings are off get them to drill good sized inspection holes. Bet it will be sopping wet inside.

If the plasterboard is crumbly is knackered as well.

They will try to fob you off. Stand firm and ask for nothing but the very best.

And the repair should be invisible. If not get it redone.

What was the cause of the leak? Cause of that needs to be established too. Was it a faulty part? Or a missed insert? Or poor workmanship?

Danny1991 likes this.
  8. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

A hot water pipe coming off the the boiler was leaking. We had a slow leak from the waste pipe under the bath too which was found 2 days before!

The assistant site manager said the skirting and arcatrive look ok. I didn’t think so though!!

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Of course he will say that. He wants you to accept the bare minimum.

If plasterboard gets wet it is knackered.

If MDF gets wet it is knackered.

You can see the architrave and skirting has distorted.

That is not going back to its original state

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not even moved in and 2 leaks already.

gadget man likes this.
  11. Danny1991

Danny1991 New Member

Cheers thanks for this. I’ll take it back to them - no doubt they’ll try and fob me off!