New Build Loft Boarding

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DoubleARon1878, Sep 14, 2021.

1. DoubleARon1878

DoubleARon1878 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have searched through the forum for help but can't find a proper answer, I posted on here originally to get advice getting a socket from downstairs into my loft but a kind person raised the point that I need to be careful with load/weight in the loft.

I have a new build house and have boarded a small corner already myself but I had plans to get the full loft boarded on raised legs to help with the insulation, I spoke to the guys who installed my ladder and light and they said as long as I don't plan on using the loft as a home gym it will be fine to use as a small cinema room.

I am hoping to have at least a TV/console and some bean bags up there once floor is done but looking for advice on the boarding and would it be ok to have that weight up there?

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Without knowing the depth / thickness of joists ,and their span its anyone's guess

3. DoubleARon1878

thats my job for tonight then to measure them, is it just the joist going across the whole loft, sounds like a silly question :(

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Presumably ,all the joists would be the same size / depth / thickness. And there length probably similar.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If it's a new build then in all likelihood you'll have trusses. Are there various diagonal members with metal plates on the joints? If so then trusses.

The official answer is no additional load, but in the real world you should be fine but don't go to the pictures if there's 4 fee of snow on the roof.

Personally I'd go for timber rather than legs which always look pretty flimsy to me.

Mr Rusty likes this.
  6. DoubleARon1878

thank you for your reply, luckily in "sunny" Liverpool we dont get much snow ever!! haha but that makes sense, i know i shouldnt put a price limit on safety etc but is there any cheap ish way to re-inforce to help maybe?