New Building regs - date of introduction

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by green paint, Oct 29, 2003.

1. green paint

green paint New Member

When do they come into operation. I understand that draft proposals are available online but as yet I have not seen a firm date for the introduction. Someone has mentioned next year - but when?

I would also think that work in progress would also be allowed to be completed - similar to new window installation introduced last year. From memory 1 month was allowed for work to be completed from the date of introduction.

I see that IEEE regs have been mentioned. Could it be that ALL electrical installions in older properties would have to be upgraded in line with current regs - not just new work completed to spec?

Something for the DIY person to think about

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I think that it's April next year. No idea about a 1 month official grace period, but I expect that as long as you can "prove" that the work was done before April '04, you'd have an unofficial grace period of quite a bit longer than that.

As for being forced to bring older installations up to scratch, this, of course, is the holy grail of the electrical contracting industry.

I don't believe that there are any measures planned to enforce this, although the IEE have a recommendation of an inspection every 10 years, and it is being suggested that insurers could encourage this by offering discounts if people have this done (and, presumably, have anything that's wrong put right ;-)).

Also, once word gets round about all this, house buyers might start to ask for proof from the seller that their installation does meet standards, particularly if it is obvious (e.g. new kitchen/bathroom/loft conversion/extension etc) that there has been work done on the electrics post-April 04 and which, therefore, should have a certificate.

When I moved into my house 16 years ago, my lender's surveyor said in his report that the house appeared to have the original rubber wiring, and that it should be properly inspected by a qualified electrician and "the recommendations of his report adhered to".

So questions about this sort of thing aren't new, and one thing I learned last year when I had new windows done, was that if you're buying a house that's had new windows, ask for proof that they comply with Building Regs Part L - i.e. were they inspected and passed by a the council's Building Control dept, or were they installed by a member of FENSA who could self-certify.

And now we have (soon) Part P.

Finally, yes there is a definite requirement in the new regs that if any new electrical work is done that relies on the existing installation (e.g. the earthing), and that isn't up to scratch then that will need to be changed. The wording in the proposal was:

..such works on the existing fixed electrical installation in the building as are necessary to enable the alterations, the circuits which feed them, the protective measures and the relevant earthing systems to meet the requirements

The final wording may change a little, but the basics will remain - if you have work done, and whatever you're attaching to does not meet the regulations, then you will have to have that put right.

3. green paint

green paint New Member

Thanks for the reply. I do intend breaking into the existing ring circuit to give more socket outlets. As a DIY person, I am fully aware of my limitations but 90% of the basic work involved is not electrical but minor building work - chasing down walls - lifting floorboards drilling out for socket outlets. My local library worries me a little as some of the books on electrical work have been superceded by new regs. I did buy the Which book which is very clear on the basics.

I also fully intend to comply with the law but I have a period of grace to have this work done. . I will clarify anything that I am not completely sure about BEFORE I undertake the work.(Hopefully in part by using this excellent forum) I would add that I will have a new CU fitted and ALL my wiring tested by a properly qualified electrician

In short - I think any responsible person will not risk their life or the lives of their family by trying to do something that is totally beyond them. I think I am more than capable of extending a ring circuit in accordance with IEEE regs. If the ammeded proposals are passed I think it will deter householders from upgrading. A quote of £60 per outlet was quoted by a electrian for extending a circuit - he has a living to make as do painters and plumbers. How many people use these trades for basic work anymore?

INHO It would be better if they banned the sale of fireworks. I am sure that there are more injuries and damage during Sept to Dec with fireworks than electrical faults with mains wiring by DIY or dare I say it -qualified electricians.

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

INHO It would be better if they banned the sale of
    fireworks. I am sure that there are more injuries and
    damage during Sept to Dec with fireworks than
    electrical faults with mains wiring by DIY or dare I
    say it -qualified electricians.

According to Government statistics, the number of deaths attributable to faults with fixed wiring installations averages 2.6 per year.

They also predict that these new regulations will save 20% of those deaths, i.e. about 1 person every 2 years.

You're probably right about the fireworks, but I wouldn't want to see those banned either.

Nor the private operation of motor vehicles, which kills about 10 people per day.

5. green paint

green paint New Member

Motor cars - now thats a thought. Wonder if the next thing is that you are not allowed to service your brakes or adjust your tyre pressures.

6. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Sorry, I know it's an old thread but i thought this was worth a mention: I have noticed that many building societys and banks providing mortgages are insisting that any electrical work that needs to be done as a result of a survey on a property is done by a NICEIC member.

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Bet the ECA are really chuffed by that!

Interestingly there's a talk forum on the IEE website, and that's full of outrage from highly qualified people, some of whom teach the subject, or design and install massive great industrial stuff, because they too won't be allowed to do their own house wiring because they aren't members of NICEIC or ECA.