new business

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by hammer, Aug 30, 2005.

1. panlid

panlid New Member

alot of people accept poorer quality work if it is cheap!
    as for having your wife running around for you...
    well thats proffesional isnt it?
    personally i would keep quiet about that.
    im also unorganised and tired from grafting but i would never stoop that low(and yes we have had 2 children in the first 3 years of me starting my business)

of course you are making more than handyman. you are sending a heavily preggy wife out to work and therefore are 2 people working and your wages are really for 2 people!

2. handyman.

handyman. New Member

'stoop that low' LOL:)

your the man sid ;)

3. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Oww my head... good job I'm off today.

I suppose I should point out she's only been running around the last week or so, and as for stooping that low, well, she can barely bend over....;)

4. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

...which is meant as a joke rather than my entry for heartless b**tard of the year award!

5. handyman.

handyman. New Member

sid, seeing as your a tradesman from the north of england (in same ish location as me) what is your hourly rate??

What i mean is work it out taking into account the actual hrs you work to generate your income.......quoting, material sourcing etc. Excluding all other overheads because i have the same.

Just interested as i feel i should be about 30% less than a tradesman. I'm on £135 per day (8hr day).

6. panlid

panlid New Member

if i come home with less than £1000 for the week, mrs sid makes me sleep in the shed!
    nice job on wednesday, 5 beds, start at9 and finish for 1pm. 120 quid profit a bed. that means i can have another day off in the week:)
    by the way jolly, we still think your a cruel bast*rd. you should be over with us at tt forum;)

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

so you telling me you clear (taking holidays off, say 6 weeks) 46k per year before overheads and tax??

8. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

9. panlid

panlid New Member

before over heads?????
    TAX??????
    LOLOLOL
    **** me, ide go and get a job if it was?
    put your prices up man!!!

10. handyman.

handyman. New Member

so you are saying you earn 46K per year?

Really, i wouldnt get any work if i charged £25 per hour. (which is 40hr week to get 1K)

11. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

Really, i wouldnt get any work if i charged £25 per
    hour.

Neither would I. I charge £12 and lose some day work on price. The other machine driver at the job I'm on at the moment is getting £11 (also self employed). I'm working at Wilmslow where they probably pay their babysitters and dogs cooks more than this.

12. Washboy

Washboy New Member

limestone cowboy - do you actually charge your customers that or are you paye or with an agency. What part of the country are you in. I'm guessing you are a stone fixer or mason..

13. smithybora

smithybora New Member

This topic has some good advice on it. I have just started up my own company.

Its going well. Class myself as home improvements. Fitting kitchens,Bathrooms. All the normal stuff. Electric and plumbling. Basically a one man band.

I to have done all the nice busniess cards and logo on my van. Stiched t-shirts. Turn up on time. Got my own web site just up and running. Got a good turn round. Just trying to advertise everywhere. Local post offices. Shops. Leaflets and bi-folders everywhere. Coffee shops and hair dressers. Got a few local paper boys and girls delivering leaflets for me at a good price. The leaflet delivery might not take off. but for the small price it costs. There's no harm.

The only thing i found trouble with like some others on here, is pricing.

I tend to price about £120 a day. But that can change. It depends on the job as well. I am doing a painting job next week. It will take 1 day and have charged £180 for it. 8 hrs work, so about £23 a hr. The customer is happy so i am as well.

What seems to be the normal price for a average kitchen. Fully installed, plumbling and electrics and tiling. The full works. The one i am doing will take about a week and charging £1800. To me that sounds high but the customer is well happy with that price. I wish i could have 4 of them a month.

14. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Hi Smithybora,

Blimey, don't tell the painter's forum you're charging £180 for a days painting without union membership...;)

At the end of the day you're not a charity and neither should you act like one - as long as your work is of a high enough quality and the customer is genuinely 110% satisfied with the end result (and just as importantly so are you) then fair play and good luck.

P.S. are your rates + or - materials?

15. smithybora

smithybora New Member

That was job Labour. They supply paint.

I think your right. If both parties are happy then where is the wrong. That was a recommended job from another job i done.