New car tax changes

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by sospan, Dec 19, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you are buying a new car next year, they are scrapping the zero allowance for environmentally clean cars.

However, if you buy a car over £40,000 watch out.

if you are paying a minimum of £40,000 for any car (including ones with no CO2 emissions) there will be a supplement of £310 each year for 5 years. So "car tax" could be costing a minimum of £450 a year, if you go and get something flash.

Previously registered cars are exempt from the changes

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Of all the taxes - VED and TV licence are the most badly structured.

VED could be scrapped very easily and revenue taken as part of fuel duty. So the more you drive, the more you pay, the least fuel efficient, the more you pay - very easy.

TV licence. I still can't believe in this day and age we are forced to subscribe to one broadcasting corporation. There would be an outcry if we were forced to subscribe to SKY.

FatHands and wiggy like this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

There's an outcry over the BBC fees but it still has to be paid, taking BBC 3 off air and putting it online only shows that they don't give a toss about the ordinary folk.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I wonder what the sums are to scrap VED and put up petrol prices, how much per litre would it need to go up by?

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just googled some numbers
    Income from VED = £6 billion
    Total Fuel consumed around 35,000,000 tonnes.
    Assuming fuel weighs the same as water (1,000 litres to the tonne) that's 35 billion litres

So that's around 20p a litre.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is about 1p. I did a stint at the DVLA a while ago and there is a huge administrative and enforcement overhead to car tax. It used to be a huge source of employment between the Post Office and DVLA. However, with Electronic Vehicle Licensing (EVL) the need for people in the process has dropped.

They have within the last few years tied purchasing a vehicle with taxing a vehicle. So that when you purchase a vehicle, by taxing it an record of the new vehicles owner is update. I (an many others) would like to see purchasing a vehicle linked to a new MOT rather than tax. This alone would resolve so many problems.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whats also missing is the number of vehicles on the road which are VED exempt - eg classic cars, motability vehicles (which is a problem), drivers from abroad especially HGV's some of whom have moved their registration to another country to avoid VED.

The cost of supporting the IT systems for VED, really is eye watering.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And some of the things they are getting involved in which is so far out of their remit i.e. study aids for GCSE's ? It may be nice but surely not what the BBC is intended for.

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Look at what the BBC provides for around £160 per year - all of the TV and radio. Then look at ITV or Ch4 or Ch5 and their advertising revenues plus the cost of making adverts &c. It is estimated that each household is indirectly paying around £500 per annum for those services ... add in the independent radio stations and it soon becomes clear who offers better value for money. And you don't get the mind numbing carp repeated every 15 minutes. You can often get the same advert repeated 20, 30, 40 times in an evening on one channel alone.

longboat likes this.
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes but we can choose to watch the ads or not, and choose to buy the ad product or not.
    With the BBC we don't get to choose. We have to pay whether we watch it or not.
    The BBC is on a downward slope and should be abolished.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Pollowick

I rarely watch ITV but get no choice as to whether I pay towards te running of it. Whether I shop in Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl ... I am still paying towards ITVs running costs. If I drive a Ford, Vauxhall, BMW, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot there is still a significant amount of each car purchase going to fund ITV.

BBC offers way better value than ITV

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sorry, but the BBC doesn't offer anyone "Value for money" Are you seriously telling me you shop at Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Tesco's Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl and consider what you're paying towards independent operators , part of the equation ????

14. Pollowick

No, I am pointing out that you do not have a choice about funding ITV either. And in fact you pay many many time more for ITV that you do for the BBC. And you get the same rubbish adverts several times every hour ... sometimes 8 or 10 times in an hour.

15. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

To ,say that we are "forced" to pay for ITV etc by our purchases is illogical, by that score you could say that we are being forced to pay for the children of the owners of the supermarkets to be educated in private schools, or that we are forced to pay for their lifestyles, we are not. That would be the same as one of my customers saying they are "forced" to pay for my beer, A service provider charges for the service they provide, whether it be a supermarket, a plumber, electrician, or any other service. What they choose to spend their profits on is up to them, the only reason the BBC gets away with what it does is it is a mouthpiece for our corrupt government! Earlier this year there was quite a significant incident and although it was all over the internet,Sky news and even the American news agencies,it was 3 days before there was any mention of it on the good old BEEB!
    I strongly disagree with having to pay the licence fee, I watch around 3 hours of BBC programming a week and certainly don't consider it value for money. They will not abolish the licence fee because the government will not find anyone else that will do what the government tells them.