New Career in Carpentry Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jonah123, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Jonah123

Jonah123 New Member

Hi there,

My names John, 28, I’m highly considering a career in Carpentry, as the desk job is not for me. This will be a big career change for me as I have already committed to 6 Years of formal study (degree qualified) and 4 years of work to my chosen field of I.T. However my personality and career aspirations are suited to the field of Carpentry, as I’ve always wanted to work in the industry as a Carpenter.

I have been looking at the 8 Week NVQ 2 Carpentry course at Able Skills Training Centre as an entry point into Carpentry. The course is £3000 and I will be working towards my NVQ Level2 by the end of it.

Firstly is this the best route into the trade?
    Or shall I try and gain experience for Carpentry firm before hand?

No, way am I trying to short cut myself into this profession by taking an 8 week Course, I am looking at this option to equip myself with the necessary skills so I can present myself to a future employer with essential Carpentry skills. Taking the apprenticeship route may not necessarily be the best route for myself as I have to support my family financially and I'm likely to be too old for most apprenticeships going.

Please guys your advice will help cement which route I should take so serious answers please, this is a life changing decision for me.

Many thanks in advance.

John

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't do it.

3. Jonah123

Jonah123 New Member

Hi Chippie 224,
    Thanks for your reply. Could you give me a brief reason why you don't think I should go down this route? As I thought gaining industry recognised qualifications was essential.

Kind regards
    John

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Where do you see yourself in 10 years if you do re-train as a chippie?

5. Jonah123

Jonah123 New Member

Owning my own successful company, early stages of property development amid other things.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Then you are wasting your time trying to learn to be a chippie.

7. Jonah123

Jonah123 New Member

Hi Chippie224,

Without reasonable explanation, I can't take your contribution on board as they are just hollow statements. If you would like to explain your reason I it would help further.

Kind regards

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Take on board what you want. Give me 3 grand and I will teach you more in 2 months than you will learn on a course.

JamieTheJoiner likes this.
  9. Jonah123

Jonah123 New Member

Chippie 244,

I'm so keen, I will take you up on your offer if you can teach me?

Thanks

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

First 2 weeks, conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace ie wearing safety boots, gloves, goggles and mask.
    Second 2 weeks, conforming to productive working practices in the workplace ie make tea, sweep up, go to butty wagon.
    Third 2 weeks,moving, handling and storing resources in the workplace ie tidy my lock up
    4th 2 weeks,set up chop saw, build 4' stud wall with cls, clad in 18mm ply, fit skirting, hang shelf.
    Kerching.

plumber-boy and Welshdragon1 like this.
  11. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Going by the answer to the question, 'where do you see yourself'; you would be running a successful business as a manager etc. and you won't have time to be a chippy. You can make a living as a chippy, but not a fortune.

3000 will get you a reasonable vehicle and a reasonable set of tools. Which in many cases is more than enough to qualify you. ie you got there with the right tools, so the job is as good as yours.

That is assuming you already have an aptitude for the work, that you are a wielder of tools and such like, because it does need to be something you take to quite naturally.

Then you advertise. Meet folk and take what you can do. Then see where it takes you. So your course in life is a 'journeyman'.

12. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

I think you've frightened him off Chippie.:)

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My son has helped me out over the last 2 summers and he's covered more than that course was going to teach and I paid him, a bit.
    Guess where he wants to work, yes I.T. Nice warm office, paid holidays, clean clothes. :):)

14. plumber-boy

:)...If you had your time again Chippie would you choose a different career or are you content??

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have not always been a chippie but I've always worked with my hands and I have no idea how to do an office job and have no desire to have one.

16. plumber-boy

Fair play Chippie.;)
    I've always done plumbing/heating and I still enjoy it now as much as I did when I started.;)

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I may not have any choice in the matter though, I had a bad accident 6 weeks ago and can barely move my left thumb, unless I can work out how to be a one handed chippie I'm a bit stuck.

18. plumber-boy

Blimey chippie! Sorry to hear that mate, I hope you get yourself sorted and back on track soon.;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'll know more in another 6 weeks when I can go back to work.
    I'm thinking of something like a magnetic ring on my finger to hold a screw.

20. No where near calling myself a chippie (more like professional bodger) but i can hold my own on the carpentry front i have no qualifications of any use, i started out labouring same as most others on here when you get to be a good labourer after a while you get taught how to do things and pick up little tricks of the trade and work your way up from there, but that can take several years and do you really want to go and do what can be a minimum wage job at the age of 28, then you have the 8 week course where you have none of the humbling and enlightening experience of being a labourer get taught how to put up stud walls and hollow core doors in a nice clean straight level floored class room which is no use what so ever in the real world when you go to a job and the walls are as straight as elton john and the door frame isnt standard size so basically the only thing that gives you the years of experience you need to be a decent chippie is years of experience.

ps sorry to hear about your thumb chippie