New central heating system never-ending issues

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MiaRosario, Nov 23, 2021.

1. MiaRosario

MiaRosario New Member

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping one of you could provide some advice or give me some information so that I am better placed to discuss with my plumber.

We had new Ideal combi boiler installed, two upstairs rads and a towel rail. Downstairs wet UFH through 2 zones.

On Friday, the pressure on the boiler dropped for the 13th time, I called plumber he said top it up bleed rads and he would be round next week. So I did that, we had hot water but no heating for some strange reason. Next day, no hot water.

Plumber came round yesterday, and added a bypass valve to the UFH system as well as an “air separator” and a gauge to view the boiler pressure. UFH manifold is easy to get to, boiler not so much. I asked what the bypass valve would do and he said that the boiler was sending hot water down to the manifold but when the UFH was up to temp it couldn’t get back to the boiler and was causing the boiler to overheat, trigger the PRV and cause an overflow (which I have seen leave the overflow pipe) this in my mind accounted for the regular pressure loss.

So, everything is working now. However the UFH manifold has gone from a 4/10 noise to an 8/10 noise to the point it woke us up. It’s hard to isolate the noise but in my opinion the new valve is generating a lot, as well as the pump itself which is on speed 2 out of 3. It’s absolutely deafening and I can’t imagine within the realms of acceptable motor noise. Sometimes the fridge humms you get over it this is a constant loud motor sound.

I feel like the plumber is losing patience with constantly being called back but why was the bypass valve not installed at inception, and why has it now caused the manifold to become even noisier?

The system has not run for 2 weeks without an issue since installation and I am also losing patience.

Attached Files:

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Don’t think the boiler should overheat and lift the prv. More like the expansion vessel has lost charge and the plumber thinks there is air in the underfloor.

Tell him to fix it within 14 days or you’ll get someone else to inspect it with the threat of recovering costs fron him

3. MiaRosario

MiaRosario New Member

I think he would just tell me to do one if I threatened him like that. The build has all been paid for with the main builder, they were heavy handed asking for final payment as soon as boiler was commissioned, he has come out free of charge every time since, I just want it resolved. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and have an independent come out. Thanks for your response.

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Free of charge ever since? I should think so. A system has been installed that doesn’t work properly, they have a contractual obligation to ensure that it does work as planned. You need to stand up for your rights

5. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If you didn't pay the plumber directly for the install, then your recourse is with the builder.

You can be equally heavy-handed with them, make sure it's in writing though.

Repeated lack of heating and hot water especially in the winter is unacceptable.